Outlet - Shunyata vs Hubble 20 amp

Trying to decide between these two 20 amp outlets.

Shunyata SR-Z1 is cryogenically treated and built well, cost $100.

Hubble makes a hospital grade outlet HBL 8300 for about $30-$40.

Should I stick with Shunyata since I use their Power cords and cables? Anybody know anything about these outlets?

jumia

Maestro only being sold by one place in the US. This does not paint a favorable picture of this outlet.

@dekay said:

I use both 5362 and 8300.

Two 5362’s in wall and 8300’s in my power conditioners.

They were all manufactured 20+ years ago.

The HBL5362 Extra Heavy duty industrial deep Body outlets are still the same.

https://www.graybar.com/hbl174-straight-blade-receptacle-duplex-extra-heavy-duty-industrial-20a-125v-2p3w-gray/p/88127181?pcode=88127181

The 8300 20A hospital grade Deep Body outlets are not, as I describe above in various posts. And worse Hubbell makes an even cheaper 8300H hospital grade outlet that uses a galvanized steel supporting back strap. Any one buying Hubbell outlets today really needs to do their home work. AND DON"T assume the picture shown is what you are buying...

They were all manufactured 20+ years ago.

When trying them in wall the 5362 was slightly richer sounding with the 8300 sounding a little lighter/brighter.

A lot of audiophiles posted HBL5362 Deep Body outlets had a slightly warmer sound to them. As for the 8300 hospital grade outlet the ones I used had a neutral sound to them.

20 years ago Hubbell was manufacturing two types of 8200/8300 hospital grade outlets.

The Deep Body HBL8300 and the Slender/Compact body HBL8300H. Just going from memory the Deep Body HBL8300 hospital grade outlet used nickel plating on the brass supporting back strap as well on the brass contacts. Imo, and others, the outlet sounded a little grainy which probably sounded bright.

The Slender/Compact body HBL8300H Hospital Grade outlet did not use nickel plating on the brass supporting back strap nor nickel plating on the brass contacts.

I tried both and the Slender/Compact HBL8300H hospital grade outlet won hands down.

The HBL8300H hospital grade outlet is the outlet that Albert Porter used in his Porter Ports until Hubbell stopped making the non nickel plated outlet version.

Scroll down to page 10. Page 10 is a picture of the old, (no longer made), Slender/Compact HBL8300H outlet. Is this the hospital grade outlet you use/used?

I find it odd Hubbell still shows the old HBL8300H outlet but when you look at the current Compact 8300H hospital grade outlet you can see the supporting back strap is not unplated brass.

Here is the current Compact design HBL8300H hospital grade outlet:

Here is the spec sheet. Notice the supporting back strap is galvanized steel.

Here's are pics of a Porterport using a Hubbell 8300HI (per the ad).

I recall that Albert also used 5262 & 5362 as a base for the Porterport. 

Beryllium is typically used in small quantities to enhance/strengthen copper (it's extremely toxic when allowed to "float" around).

Yes, enhanced/stronger copper would "seem" to be ideal, but I've never listened to an outlet using such.

https://www.audioasylumtrader.com/ca/listing/Power-Conditioner-Surge-Protector/Hubbell-HBL8300HI/Porter-Port/Cryo-Treated-Outlet/165790

DeKay

There are few Audiogon members whose opinion I respect as much as @jea48.

As I have posted on other threads, you can do what you want.

But, when you post here, asking for information/opinions, I often see many not accepting the opinions of those who have validated/invalidated the specs/design of the equipment that was being questioned.

So, again, do as you wish. Disregard what others have posted..

But, hey, we tried to warn you.

Bob

jea:

Great info, thanks.

As the OP just brought up copper content I recall that the early 5262 and/or 5263 used a high percentage of copper in the brass used.

This said, many things have changed since then (so many design/material changes).

Tried researching old posts on the mentioned receptacles (I was involved in a few of them), but it’s way too much reading for me.

Need to save my good eye for watching TV and maybe driving the car.

DeKay