Ditching Class A Amps due to Heat - Sort of a Poll

A discussion elsewhere about the future of Class A made me wonder how true one statement really is. So the questions are...

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?

I only have a class A/B unit that does Class A up to 6 watts with almost no heat so really can't speak for those who have used in the past or currently own and run Class A Amps.

brianh61

Have you done away with your Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?    NO

Will you be moving away from Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?  NO

Will you never buy a Class A Amp due to Heat concerns?  NO

Since the early 1990s I have run Krell KRS200s uprated by Krell to 400W per side.  They are probably about the hottest amps around and can pull down nearly 2kW per side.  Sound is wonderful of course.  It's a big room and in the basement so it doesn't get too hot.  I don't heat it in the winter as it's dedicated just to music.

As for the global warming lobby, it can go swing a cat.  In the recent COP-OUT 22 all the big countries of the world were unable to agree any positive action.  We are all too greedy and competitive.  They never agree any ACTION, they just make promises they do nothing to keep.  1.5C is already gone, measurements show we've already reached it.  Don't worry, humanity will adapt, it always has done.  Sure some will be inconvenienced, some will die.  It's always been that way.  Anyone wanting action on global warming needs to pray for a meteor hit.

To your question - yes, I moved from Class A amps (MSB) to Class A/B with Pilium and very happy with the change. Pilium amps run cold and sonically they are superior as to my taste. It is a kind of a rare occasion when you can enhance pleasure in an environmentally friendly manner.

Someone mentioned space heater, as much as I loved my Threshold amp, that's exactly what it felt like. Very happy with a Mcintosh now, crazy low energy usage and sounds almost as good as a class A or tube amp. Running 24/7 so that's important to me. If I only listened a few hours a day I'd probably choose differently though....low power SET for my Omega 95db bookshelfs.   

I have been using tube gear for several years now and will never give them up. However, I recently borrowed a FirstWatt F6 from a friend. After I listened to it for a few hours I made an offer and now it is mine. I just ordered a pair of Tekton Double Image speakers to pair with it. The purity and accuracy of its sound won me over. Now I have an outstanding set of tube gear and what I perceive to be an equally amazing Class A amp. I will keep it, heat and inefficiency be damned. 

No heat concerns here. My pair of 1980s Crown PS/200 amps benefit from a really good chassis design that keeps them very cool without a need for any fans. Actually cold when playing music not even close to being hot at idle.