The Right Speaker Cables

Looking to try new speaker cables. I just tried a pair of Nordost Superflatline cables in place of my Blue Jean Cables. I found the Nordost more detailed which i loved but they didn't have the fullness that Bue Jean provides me. I find the Nordost having a leaner sound. My price range at this moment is around $500 for the pair. Suggestions on other cables I could try.

My System:  Amp - Parasound A21+, Preamp - Parasound P6, Phono Amp - Parasound JC 3 Jr, Turntable - MOFI Studiodeck with Ultra Cartridge, Streamer - Bluesound Vault 2i, Speakers - GoldenEar Triton One.R

derfman66

Run, don't walk to Ali-Express. Type in the search bar Odin speaker cables. The only thing wrong with them is they should never have been named Nordost, BUT, they are EXCELLENT value. I find the Odin Gold the best and have both PCs and ICs. Currently I have the Odin 2 silver speaker cables and coax, but will also try the Odin Gold, which only come with bananas

A quick glance at the title (The Right Speaker Cables) makes me pause and ponder this a bit.

Shouldn't we be paying attention to the left speaker cables as well?

@derfman66:  Three questions:  Is this for a 2-channel system? If so, how far apart is each speaker from the amp? Are the cables of equal length, regardless of the individual speaker's proximity to the amp?

As usual, everyone has their own opinion of best performance. I won't criticize, but I might be able to save you some money.

Over the years I have tried almost everything out there under $5K, married to a variety of solid state and tube components. During that time, I have discovered some basic truths pertaining to wire technology, insulation designs and materials, and connectors.

I won't get into all of that so as not to offend anyone. One note; however, - - - - - - - - - The person who recommended the ZAVFINO cable technology is on the right path, but they are fairly pricey. Beautifully built however if appearance is an important factor to you. Recently HARMONIC TECHNOLOGY has discovered some of the same factors that I have over the years. Another great cable design company, but pricey.

So here are my two recommendations, based upon what my ears have told me plus my training as an engineer and professional musician.

​​​​​​​First you might take a look at "REALITY CABLES". When you see them, you might "freak out". But I can say without hesitation that the performance is worth every penny. Only problem - - - - They are somewhat unruly due to the fact that they use an extremely high quality of OCC "solid core" copper from Germany. They are quite stiff, so routing takes a bit of work. Definitely "NOT" for closed component cabinet use. Side Note: These cables have been carefully developed and auditioned by members of the "CHICAGO AUDIO ENGINEERING SOCIETY". The owner was one time President.

O.K. secondly, the cables that I currently use throughout my system, are custom made (so to speak) by a Chicago area-based company called "AMPLIFIER SURGERY" Their forte is rehab and repair of high-end components. "THEY ALSO DESIGN AND MANUFACTURE CABLES"

So, you are looking for speaker cables; - - - - - The design I use (once again) are a bit stiff to route due to the usage of OCC solid core copper (with or without OCC silver plating) Personally I have components that produce a very flat audio spectrum. I do not use the silver plate version due to the fact that I have invariably found silver plated cables to be a touch edgy and emphasize the upper frequencies slightly. If you have a system that has a tendency toward a bright sounding "high end" I would not recommend the silver plating. 

​​​​​​​Otherwise, these cables provide an audible performance spectrum that is as benign to all variances of audio component design, as anything I have yet to come across. AND (AS MENTIONED) the pricing will astonish you. (In a good way).

When (and if) you make contact with either company, you may tell them that you came across this recommendation from Lance Lawson. The reason being that I have jointly made a few minor adjustments to the cable design. So, if you wish to try what I have, that would be the best approach. 

The owner will provide you with a run through of the build specs.

Finally, don't be put off if you don't get a return call or email immediately.

This is a one-man company and engineer, and he is always very busy. Mentioning my name might help, both with build assurance and pricing. Always ask for his "best price" Shipping is always included and "NO TAX".

And never forget, "all cables" (even OCC copper) require "break-in". These cables will come to you "directionally unpolarized" So about 50 hours of break in will render the best results these cables will provide"