Looking for upgrade of Accuphase E-480

Hi

I have an Accuphase E-480 with B&W 803D3 speakers and Lumin T2 streamer/DAC. I spent many hours during the last year tuning my system with cables and placement. Although I am very happy with listening to well recorded/mixed tracks, I have got a problem listening to all the other tracks, that don't show an optimal sound image. The high frequencies often are still too present.

Since I have checked everything else (power supply, cables, placement, room etc.) I went to a store comparing the E-480 with other Accuphase Amps on the 803D4 speakers (I brought my cables and streamer). The E-5000 was wider in the mids and a bit smoother in the treble, but still too forward for me. I tried this one at home too.

The E-800 class A integrated amp was very smooth and soft compared to the E-480, but also less clear and detailed what I was missing. It was clear, that my ears wanted more, than my E-480 could bring, but also more than the E-800 and E-5000 could bring. It crossed the border of the integrated amps to the separates.

So I listened to the C-2850 with the A-75 class A amp. It was smooth and detailed, emotional and precise. The sound in the way I was looking for. A whole different league.

Since this is a very heavy, expensive and power consuming solution I want to get sure, if it is the right thing. I can only afford this when I buy used.

So did anybody compare different separate combos for the 803D3, that go in the direction of the C-2850/A-75? And how would you compare different options to the Accuphase? Is there something else I should try?

Please only comment, when you really heard other options on these speakers. The 803D3 are quite difficult to drive.

Thanks for your ideas! :)

edin123

edin123

The B&W 803D is a forward sounding loudspeaker due to (D) iamond tweeter. 

The Accuphase is a very fine match, although, an E-480 is not powerful enough.

Stick with the C-2850/A-75 combo. Which cables/cords are you currently enjoying?

Happy Listening!

I would look into a better pre like a 3850 and a A70 amp. The better the signal feeding the amp the better. The A75 is the current top stereo amp while the 2850 is not there top offering and a better pre will give you a better sound. Let us know what you end up with.

Thank you for your comments.

Good point to consider the C-3850. I have never compared alle the preamps. And I have time, I can wait until there is a good offer in my region.

I use a Shunyata Alpha v2 for main power to the Isotek Sigmas and the rest are Kharma power cables I got very cheap and which are very good though. For signal I use a Refine Audio Ultima Musica XLR. Refine make the best signal cables I have ever tested in my region. For ethernet streaming I use Ansuz cables, also the best I have ever tested.

Does anyone have compared class A versus class A/B poweramps? Is it the same, as with the integrated, that A/B is a bit more detailed, but edgy and cooler and class A are smoother, warmer and rounder?

About the speakers: I know of course that the D series of B&W have diamond tweeters. :)

The 803D3 can sound harsh with the wrong electronic such as Rotel or Classé or T&A etc. I heard them with a Michi Rotel X5 which was very thin sounding and harsh, compared to the E-480. On a hifi exhibition i heard the 801D4 with Classé Delta amps. It almost hurt my ears, so harsh was the treble. But I also know, how beautiful the B&W can sound, when they fit with the electronic. And as I wrote, with the class A Accuphases (E-800, 2850/A75) it was far away from forward. It’s always the combo speaker <> electronic that makes the sound. The 803D3 are difficult to drive, when you buy just anything. But with the right match, they are wonderful.