Why are there so many wooden box speakers out there?

I understand that wood is cheap and a box is easier to make than a sphere but when the speaker companies charge tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars for their speakers, shouldnt consumers expect more than just a typical box? Are consumers being duped?

Back in the 70’s a speaker engineer found that a sphere was best for a speaker. A square box was the worst and a rectangular box was marginally better.

The speaker engineers have surely known about this research so why has it been ignored?

Cabasse is the only company doing spheres. Should wooden boxes be made illegal

kenjit

@holmz

The internal reflection would be absorbed by the stuffing. Cabasse has done sphere speakers. Rectangles are done because they are cheaper and easier. Would you like me to custom tune your speakers for you as you seem to be unhappy with your speakers. Are they square? Are they tuned to your ears? Are they in TIME?

What did I say to lead you to believe that I am not happy with my speakers?

And yes; my current speaker are in time (as well as phase).

Thirdly; the stuffing will not absorb much in terms of low frequency, how thick is this stuffing.

I was only guessing at the internal reflections as being “the thing.”
or another guess would be resonance.
What is the theory behind a perfect shape?
Why is a square box bad?

Back to the question… who did the research that you alluded to?
Can you provide a link?

@dekay nice parliament.

@holmz 

I think you've misunderstood the purpose of this thread. I am not here to prove to you that spheres are better. That has already been done by other engineers many years ago. The question is, why are there so many boxes out there if they are wrong?  

Tell me,what speakers do you have? 

Are they perfect? if not why not?

Have you built any speakers?

@holmz

I think you’ve misunderstood the purpose of this thread. I am not here to prove to you that spheres are better. That has already been done by other engineers many years ago.

I am skeptical… are they better… how would i know?
I am disinclined to take your word for it over hundreds of manufacturers without some evidence that you could be correct.
Your word on it is not proof that your assertion/premise is correct… it’s just, “like your opinion dude.”

The question is, why are there so many boxes out there if they are wrong?

Table saws and panel saws cut do a good job of cutting flat wood panel straight.
Or
they are right and not wrong.

Tell me,what speakers do you have?

You first… where are your links.

Are they perfect? if not why not?

Probably not, but how does one define perfect?
In addition to FR, impluse response and step function response is radiation pattern , compression… and the list goes on…
With… style, looks and size.

One usually has a compromise for all those things, as well as cost.

they are obviously perfect enough as I have had them for a while.

Have you built any speakers?

Yes I have.