I've been selling heavier gear for lighter gear

I've been thinking about this again. Yesterday I wrapped my freshly sold 55lb ss amp in a buncha bubble wrap, double boxed w/styro sides, then took to mail store (rolled in on a dolly). Later in the day I returned to pick up my 2nd Carver Black Magic tube amp, which weighs all of about 20lbs. If I hadn't bought them was gonna buy van Alstine monos, which are also small & light. 

Earlier this year sold 110lb speakers and bought kef blade 2 (80 lbs & easy to maneuver). 

I've been moving the platform stands around a bit for mono placements, and having lightweight amps is soooo relaxing. How about here, how bout there, np. 

Anyhoots, who else factors in the tonnage of the gear they buy? Any other 'lightweight' fans like me? 

128x128zufan

This is a trend recognized by a few manufacturers who are as a result putting effort into engineering speakers and components that have a smaller footprint and lighter weight while still offering premium sound. Borresen / Aavik, Raidho, and T+A (not the HV Series) are falling into this camp. 

With speakers particularly, there’s the ability to use 3D machining to more accurately sculpt the cabinet and design for bracing such that it enables better airflow and less cabinet resonance. As an example, look at the T+A Talis S 300, whose cabinet is machined out of solid aluminum. It has a very narrow footprint and weighs 72lbs, but it goes down to 25Hz and sounds huge. Borresen speakers, similarly can fill huge rooms. I know at Axpona this past year they demonstrated how their monitors could fill a 60x30 space. 

Class D amps are advancing this way as well, though I haven’t hopped on that bandwagon yet. I do have the T+A A 200 on my floor, and I found it outperforms the Primaluna Evo 400 amp at 1/3rd of the weight and similar price point.

As it becomes harder to make gear that sounds better, focus will be placed on its form factor and space requirements to make them better integrate into your home/room. So many manufacturers are behind on this, though. 

Use a floor dolly. That’s what I’ve done with my 114lb McIntosh amp. Works great. 

I have a Devialet Expert 250 Pro that weighs in at 21 lbs. That’s it for my electronics. No additional pre, DAC, streamer, etc. The sound to weight ratio is phenomenal. My speakers at 120lb each are a different story. 

@zufan yeah, I get it. Earlier this year I went to FL from WA to pack up my deceased pop's rig that he left me...

B&W Matrix 800s (~250lbs ea)

VPI TNT V Hotrod (~150lbs)

Jadis JP80 MC (~70lbs)

Jadis Defy 7 (~80lbs)

Accuphase DP90 and DC 91 (~70lbs)

Cabling for all that I'm guessing 80lbs

And best of all the 1,300lbs of LPs...

I'm simultaneously eager and terrified the day I decide to set it all back up!!

Happy listening. (And lift with your back!)😨