Grado Epoch 3

I have been shopping new cartridges for my Artisan Fidelity (henceforth AF)  NGS SE. My table started life as an AF NGS. I had Chris convert it to the four arm capable ~350lb variant now sitting on my stand. I currently have the table outfitted with two Kuzma 4 Points, an 11" and a 14". I am still awaiting the update of my third arm which is a Technics EPA 100 MK 2. The technics will hold the London Reference and is having the bearing replaced with lab grade saphires. The 14" 4 Point is awaiting delivery of the Ortofon MC Diamond which replaces my former MC Anna. I was really interested in the Epoch 3 based on my own intuition and the description of the motor. I was not terribly moTved by the reviews I've read. 

I spoke to Todd of Todd the Vinyl Junkie fame concerning the Grado line of transducers. Todd is very knowledgable and a real audio enthusiast. I have bought several far less costly items from Todd in times past so I was familiar with his company. Todd graciously offered to allow an audition of the Epoch 3 which he had on hand, but John Grado found out about this and arranged for me to get a new unit for audition. Talk about service!

This is my only experience with Grado Labs. The cartridge arrived in a short period of time, and I set it up on the 11" arm using Analog Majik 2, my SmarTractor and MY EARS. Initially it sounded very nice. It has a weight to it much like my former reel to reel. It was exciting and very impressive the first 26 hours but then it started sounding kind of boring to my ears. I changed the VTF from 1.8g to 1.65g and this was part of the problem. I should have been running it in at the upper limit of the specified tracking force range. I set it to 1.854g and let her go. 

The cartridge started to open-up and now showed more vigor and life, it was energetic but not as airy, or bright as some MC's I have heard. Once I hit 57 hours she was singing again and only got better up to about 67 hours. The highs were all there as I used my AMR CD 77.1 as a reference on certain pieces of music including vinyl, I had digitized to 24/96. The highs were there, just not the way my former MC Anna did highs. The Grado has a weightier center of gravity if you take my meaning. As the cartridge continued to run in between 67 and ~97 hours it waxed and waned from good too great to, "I don't like what I hear and I am walking out of my man cave and going to bed". I am now at 104 hours, and it sounds glorious. 

I used my DartZeel NHB-18NS and AMR PH 77 phonostages with the cartridge and it sounds fantastic with both units. I have settled on leaving it connected to the PH 77, the combination is really special. The Zeel sounds a little more romantic, which is counterintuitive as the AMR is tubes and Zeel is all SS.

I used the London Reference with the SW1X LPU III Balanced phonostage for comparative purposes. The LPU III Balanced is a wonderful full sounding end of road stage with 48dB of gain. Joe over the Lotus Group was kind enough to hook me up with the LPU III. It's a real shame this piece is not talked about more, it would put some pieces that magazine reviewers pump-up to a flat out shame.  It was perfect for the London. The LPU III does not have enough gain for the Epoch 3 therefore while I did listen to both cartridges on the 4 Point (love the 4 Point and its removable headshells) I optimized each cartridge with the stage that best fit its specifications. Both cartridges are super-fast and I mean fast!!! The Grado has a wider soundstage and is simply more luxurious. Don't you hate car analogies? Well TOO BAD, here's another one LOL. The Grado would be an AMG S65 while the London is Porsche GT3. Both fast and agile but they do it differently.

On piano the Grado is big and real sounding, the London is not quite as big but on some pieces the London has a transient speed with respect to hard percussive hammer strikes that no other cartridge I have heard can match. I have decided to keep my London.

The Epoch 3 It is one of my favorite pieces of gear and it makes music like very few other cartridges I have heard. The highs are all there, they just don't slap you in the face. It sounds ridiculously good on classic rock and jazz and even classical. I have read that it probably won’t be fully run in until about 150 hours so I still must see what more there may be to come. 

I did hear some hard sibilance with the Grado and that concerned me quite a bit. The little pamphlet that comes the Epoch 3 states that the front of the cartridge should be 90 degrees with respect to the surface of the vinyl or 2 degrees down at the back (lower the tonearm). Analog Majik 2 also showed the best IM distortion number when it was lowered. Problem is, I found it lifeless and boring! I ended up with the front of cartridge 2 degrees forward (tonearm a bit higher). The sound was spectacular but then I started noticing some sibilance. Did I have to endure sibilance in order to get the life I wanted out of the cartridge. This was the dilemma.

I spoke to John who is just about one of the most unpretentious and nicest guys in audio you will ever run across, and he mentioned the cartridge should be 2 degrees forward before I ever told him that is where I had my unit. John is revisiting the pamphlet which may be old material from another model or a misprint. So then, what about the sibilance. I recalled that one of the biggest offending albums was my copy of Jennifer Warnes The Hunter. I played it again and there it was, slapping me right in the face, HARD! I then recalled that some years ago I'd digitized that piece with my 4 Point 11" running the Ortofon MC Anna on my NGS using the ADC built into the AMR PH77. These files are on my HDD and part of my Roon Library. I did this to quickly reference what a tonearm/cartridge/stage combination sounded like for comparative purposes. It was fortuitous that I had done so. I played the same MC Anna digitized piece back and bam, slapped in the face again by sibilance. Problematic vinyl was the culprit. 

One evening while I was listening, the system was sounding so real and fantastic, I found myself happy and upset at the same time. Happy because of how convincing this cartridge makes music sound real, upset because right then and there I knew I would be out $12K. 

The Grado Epoch 3 is one of the finest cartridges I have ever heard and I am glad it is resident in my system. 

audiofun

@audiofun 

Great review. I do have some suggestions for you to consider -

The technics will hold the London Reference and is having the bearing replaced with lab grade saphires.

In my view you would be better off with silicon nitride balls. This is what JCarr uses in his EPA100 and I note that @jpjones3318 recommends this upgrade.

Some info here

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/tonearm-bearing-repair.6173/

With regards to the Decca - I’ve set up about 30-40 of them - I would have thought the Technics would be less than the optimal effective mass. You can purchase counterweight rings to add mass to the original counterweight in Japan.

As an aside, I have owned the original Ikedas for many years, since the 80’s in fact. Isamu Ikeda eschewed the use of jewelled bearings with low compliance cartridges - thought they sounded brittle. Another reason to revisit your choice of bearings for the Technics arm.

This sounds rather familiar! When my London Reference went off for a rebuild I thought it would be the last ever. Thank goodness John Wright found someone to take over! Anyway, I bought three moving iron pickups to see what might make a replacement. The Grado Statement3, Soundsmith Sussurro MkII and a Nagaoka MP-500. My conclusions are to be found online. Of relevance to you is to treat the Grado as an MC as far as your phono stage is concerned. I have used a Quad 24p and a Musical Fidelity NuVista Vinyl with the Statement3. Its output at 1mV might be treated as an MM or as an MC by a phono stage. Using it as an MM with 47kΩ loading (capacitative loading made no difference as advertised) was awfully boring. Once I connected it as an MC and started to play with resistive loading I was amazed to hear how it came to life with lower loading. 400Ω seemed accurate, and 100Ω was most musical and entertaining. Now I am enjoying it as much as my Reference on my other table. I assume the Epoch3 is somewhat similar in phono stage settings. As far as comments about tonearms go, I am no expert but use an SME Series V for the Reference and an SME M10 for other carts on the second SME table - I found myself buying a second SME turntable so as to be able to use a good cartridge to spin out what I thought was the last gasp of life of the London Reference! And now I know the Reference will be able to be rebuilt in the future I have found myself adding two more tonearms to these two tables via tonearm pods machined in the UK. Ignore all that; play with resistive loading for the Epoch3! I think you might be amazed.

Dover:

Thank you. I am aware of the nitride bearings and almost went with them. There was some discussion that caused me to go with the jewels but it’s been a while and I don’t recall all of the reasons, but I think stiction was one of the main decision factors. If I don’t like them, I can always try the nitride bearings. I am aware of the "less than optimal effective mass" of the EPA 100 Mk 2 but recall that this arm has the adjustable damping system which is "supposed" to mitigate much of that dependance. We shall see :)

Dogberry:

Thanks for all the information. I was unaware that John found someone to take over! I am so glad to read that information as it would have been a shame to not have recourse if something adverse (or just wear) were to happen to my London. I just got it back from John about a month ago and now have 25 hours on the London. When the Epoch 3 was being used with the DartZeel it was being run as a MC as the newer Zeels no longer facilitate MM cartridges. On the PH 77 it is set up as MM/MC Hi at 47K ohms. I will take your advice and play around with it set for MC and try various loads, should be fun. Would you happen to know to whom the mantle has been passed as it relates to the London? Thanks!

Please forgive my typos and the errant use of some commas in the original post. I should have proof read a bit better.

The EPA 100 MK 2 was chosen specifically for the London Reference because of its unique adjustable damping system.