Subwoofer suggestions for budget system?

My current setup is a pair of Magnepan 1.6 speakers, a pair of Schiit Vidars, Schiit Sol turntable w/Goldring E3 cartridge (I have a VAS-rebuilt Denon DL-103 with Ebony shell and microridge stylus when I can get someone to come set it up for me), Mani 2 phono stage, Asgard 3 headphone amp acting as preamp, Schiit SYS as source selector, Modi 3+ connected to Volumio for streaming digital and an Orchard Audio RCA-to-XLR converter to drive the Vidars in monoblock mode.

I'd like to add a subwoofer to the mix that can keep bass out of the Maggies.  I'd, of course, prefer a dipole sub to go with the dipole speakers, but not terribly picky ATM.  My budget is around $200 to $300 for now.  I have been very tempted to build a pair of my own subs, but that's not in my budget right now.

Suggestions?

technotoad

It is very difficult to integrate sub with main speakers seamlessly especially the texture and speed of the bass notes.  Maybe the servo controlled sub will (has not tried) but it is usually pricey for a good one.  There are budgetary floorstander or standmount speakers could get down low to 20-30 hz range but keep good tonal balance.

@m-db 

"Any subwoofer is better than no subwoofer. "

I am on the fence about starting a post with this. Is this true, always? Do I need a sub? If I mostly listen to music with little low frequencies (I think?) in a small room,

What are the rules for having to have a sub (or 2)? Why 2?

[grislybutter,   'Is this true, always? Do I need a sub? If I mostly listen to music with little low frequencies (I think?) in a small room,']

Of course you don't need a sub...or two or eight. Many simply enjoy what the addition of subwoofer/s bring to their systems overall presentation regardless of the main speakers response. 

There are manufacturers that offer trial periods and the support to get the system dialed in.    

Capable subwoofer systems are a worthy investment. They're an audio component unto themselves that should complement any future speaker or system changes. The phrase, 'matching your subwoofer to your speakers,' can be a red flag. 

Hop off that fence. The sound down here is terrific.

@grislybutter Decent subs properly implemented can transform system performance not only by providing full-range bass but by also improving imaging and greatly expanding the soundstage and sense of space. Two decent subs will likely be better than one great sub as they can much better deal with room nodes and more evenly energize/pressurize the room. Also each sub will likely not need to work as hard as a single sub. Once you listen with two well-ingrated subs you won’t wanna listen without them anymore as the whole sonic experience collapses and becomes overall less involving without them. I recommend two SVS SB1000 Pro subs as they come with very helpful integration software, get down to an honest 20Hz, and only cost $1150 for two (or less if you buy from their Outlet) and offer a truly risk-free 45-day trial period (including return shipping) along with excellent customer support if needed. If they don’t completely transform your listening experience just return them. Just my thoughts/experience FWIW.

@m-db, @soix 

so my SVS SB-1000 arrived and so far it sounds terrible (worse than that). It's possible my room will never accommodate a sub. But I am not done playing with the placement and settings. It is also true that the music I listen to is mostly mid and high range of frequencies.  I understand the 2 subs argument but I have neither the space nor the budget. Not only that, my path to get there would lead to first one sub and if I am unhappy with one, I don't feel I would have the urge that I must have one more! :)

Thanks for your insight and advice, guys like you make this a great forum!