Mesh network versus a simple Wi-Fi extender

In anyone’s experience, does implementing a pricier Mesh network yield any sonic advantages to just using a good Wi-Fi extender and running a good Ethernet cable from that?  From people who have very good streamer setups it seems like using a simple but good Wi-Fi extender from TP-Link etc. is more than fine.  Thoughts?

soix

You just need a strong WiFi signal for smooth performance. Does not matter how you get that. Mesh is typically better if more than two devices needed for that.  If starting from scratch, mesh offers more flexibility to expand over time as needed. 

The purpose of Mesh is seamless transition between wireless routers for mobile devices that are actually moving through the coverage area. I use a higher-end Asus (6 antennas I think) as the master and three Asus AC1900's (Ethernet-connected) 'nodes' to cover an acre (house + yard). I like the Asus routers for their features. One of their capabilities pertinent to this conversation is the ability to 'lock' individual devices to specific routers in the Mesh network (so the device will not get reassigned to another router). Another feature pertinent to audio is their built-in NAS capability. I have a 3TB drive filled with FLAC files on the master router, and use it to stream music to Denon AVR6400H via HEOS in the basement and BluOS devices in the 2-ch stable (BS Node N130, NAD M12, C658, C388), occasionally PC, tablet and phone - works great.

@soix.     

I use a netgear extender for a pretty good hi rez headphone system.  I have for comparison purposes connected my streamer directly to my modem.  In doing so I hear no difference in SQ from the 100ft run in a 2 story house using the extender.  If you're only connecting one component like a router you don't need to invest in a mesh system, imo.  ymmv.

@fuzztone Don’t worry about SQ. It’s all about the network.

I am having difficulty reading this post - what are you saying?