Lyra Kleos arrives after eight months. . Worth the wait? First impressions

About nine months ago I posted some threads on Audiogon to get advice concerning upgrading the Ortofon Black 2M, moving magnet cartridge on my VPI Classic 2 turntable. You all ended up convincied me to not only to upgrade my cartridge, but to upgrade a VPI JMW unipivot tonearm to a VPI gimballed Fatboy tonearm. And after carefully considering all your recommendations, plus doing a lot of research, a Lyra Kleos moving coil cartridge was chosen and ordered.

The VPI Fatboy, ordered about March 1, arrived right away. However the new Lyra cartrdge took a full eight months to arrive from that same date. Apparently there is only one person in Japan with a single assistant making every Lyra cartridge. Picture this poor soul working day and night, chained to the floor in a small basement room with only his assistant Igor to help.

The Lyra Kleos cartridge is now happily and professionally installed on the Fatboy. It has maybe ten or so hours on it at this point. Most noticeable so so far is a better defined bass response. Elements of the sound stage also seem to be more clealy defined. Paticularly on better recorded albums, you can hear everything more clearly, as well as hear things that were simply lost in the mix before. For instance on a Sade record I distinctly heard a background singer singling softly along with her which had never been apparent before. Every sound seems better realized in more detail and depth especially on better recorded albums. On more poorly recorded content, not so much.

All in all I’m happy with the results so far. It took about three hours of break in before the cartridge began to open up. My first clue on how well this cart could perform was listening to a Jaco Pastorius bass run on a nicely recorded Joni Mitchell album. That was exciting. Some older Mies Davis and Charles Mingus sounded great too. On some other material like Mike Bloomfields Live at the Fillmore West the sound wan’t much improved over the Ortofon 2M cart. My ECM records all sounded more well defined so far.

What has been your experience with a Lyra cartridge if you have one? Have you been pleased with yours. At about how many hours did yours peak out. I’ve read their performance peaks at anywhere from 20 to 100 hourswhich is quite a range. What’s your experience? If you knew yours would take eight months to arrive would you have gone another route?

Mike

skyscraper

@fsonicsmith 

The EQ-500 has continuously variable loading from the front panel of 30k to 100k Ohms which encompasses what the vast majority of MC cartridges need.

You have misread the specs.

The MM input has variable loading - 30k to 100k.

The MC input has only 2 fixed options for loading and does not have any flexibility.

As I said there have been several threads identifying this issue.

Here are the specs from the brochure for the EQ500 -

Input impedance MM: 30kΩ to 100kΩ (variable)
MC: high 40Ω, MC: low 2.5Ω

Its a little old fashioned in design.

@skyscraper

Dover and Karl, it would be nice to acquire a new phono stage, but honestly not in the cards right now.

I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it - you have a great system - probably better than most here. Tweaking the loading would be nice, but if it’s too hard don’t worry.

If your amp is similar to the EQ500 do try both MC inputs though - high and low - the high (40ohms) simply has less gain and higher input impedance compared to the low (2.5ohms ) which has more gain and lower input impedance. One or other will sound preferable - trust your ears.

Dover, the Luxman 507uX MK2 has only the one Phono (MC) setting which is100 ohms. Lyra specs indicate you can go as low as 95.8 ohm with the Kleos, so at least I’m in the ballpark, albeit barely.

Mike

I would highly recommend a trans impedance (current) phono pre 

over any conventional voltage  preamp I’ve ever heard .

nist replaced a Sutherland land 20/02 with a Sutherland Little Loco 

and the impact was greater than anything I’ve ever done to my room or electronics.

jist outstanding .they do require a low output moving cart though 

so yours should work great

Good luck Willy-T

Mike….let it break in and dont sweat the loading too much…IF you are worried about just clearing the “ theoretical “ load just PM jcarr this site…he has ears, expertise…and hyper importantly designed your cartridge :-) he is a great dude…gave me some tips to optimize my Delos in the Triplaner arm.

You are correct, the trip to Japan will take awhile… i have several cartridges to tide me over so to speak…. but that’s probably a different thread…. Shane the new distributor but and old hand in the industry ( Ex VP at Audioquest, current CEO of Intervention records ) and I have been in touch. ….

Neutral truth tellers be they cartridges or speakers just reveal whatever is on the record….. you have a truth teller in the Kleos… enjoy it in good health…… like somebody said…you HAVE an excellent system.

Best

Jim