Do You Tell Others How Much You Have Invested in Your System?

Putting security and personal safety issues aside, do you share with others how much you have invested in your system?

I can see cases when we share with those who are generally interested what the "tariff" is for superb audio reproduction. Or, those who are already know how tall you have to be to ride the ride.

Can you think of any other reasons (accountants, lawyers, insurance, etc)? Afterall, when your spouses second cousin pulls in the driveway in their Minivan, bragging about fact that you have $10k invested in cables may not be the best way show common interests?

What say you?

128x128waytoomuchstuff

I equate Audiophile hobbiest with housing landlords. The rent is always to high to tenants. Audio equipment is always too expensive to laymen. It doesn’t matter how much one spends on their hobby if it isn’t audio gear to most people. Watches, cars, boats, art collecting, wine collecting, etc.= no problem, However, mention cost of higher end audio gear and they often say or think that one has wasted their money. I don’t hear that about videophiles and their hobby. Just audio gear.

I can purchase a couple of nice sounding cables for under $100. Room, speaker placement, component matching all matter more. Most situations do not involve throwing $10,000 in cables to get a noticeable improvement in sound. If you spend $10,000 on cables you have more $$$$ than you know what to do with. I heard a pair of $50,000  speakers, on $30,000 of Amp, preamp, and it did not sound good. He had large speaker cables about 1/2" diameter, huge interconnects.

1. The room was crummy. A bose wave radio would have put it to shame.