Open Baffle Experience

Much has been said about open baffles, including an epic website by the late, great Dr. Linkwitz but I've only heard them really once, playing absolutely garbage music (thanks Pure Audio!) at a hotel.

I'm talking here about dynamic drivers in single baffles without enclosures, not ESLs or Magneplanar type systems.

I'm curious who has had them, and who kept them or went back to "conventional" boxes?

I'm not really looking to buy speakers, but I did start thinking about this because of a kit over at Madisound made with high quality drivers.

erik_squires

I own the Spatial Audio M3 Sapphires....so count me as an OB fan. AC has a whole section devoted to OB not specifically sponsored by any manufacturer...here is a link for some light reading.

My general overall comment about OB sound is most of the advantages of a panel speaker but with some of the advantages and dynamics of a box speaker as well...without the supposed box sound.

I've owned a number of Magneplanars in the past, but my first real exposure to open-baffle was when I built a set of GR-Research NX-Oticas with OB servo subs a few years ago. This has been the most enjoyable system I've owned. I recently replaced the NX-Oticas with GR-Research Line Force speakers, which I would also consider open-baffle, but they use a line array of B&G planar-magnetic drivers. 

I have since heard a couple pair of Linkwitz speakers and the Spatial Audio X4s. 

All these open baffles have a characteristic sound - somewhat similar to panel speakers, but with improved dynamics (I haven't heard any Magneplanars newer than the 3.5r I owned, or their top models). 

Compared to the various box speakers I've owned (Duntech Sovereigns, Revel Gems, Revel Studios, Revel F50s, Totem Mani-2s, Goldenear Triton 2+), the open baffle speakers presented a deeper, wider sound stage where the speakers completely disappear, but the imaging is not quite as sharp.

The open-baffle bass does not pressurize the room as much, but is still very powerful with excellent definition. I find this a big advantage for music, but probably wouldn't work as well for movie sound effects. 

At this point, I can't see myself ever going back to box speakers. When I owned maggies, I always felt something was missing (although I enjoyed their sound very much), but this has not been the case with the NX-Oticas and OB subs.

I've only had the Line Forces running for a week. Compared to the NX-Oticas, the sound stage is a bit wider, the presentation (particularly vocals) is a bit more forward, and they have considerably more detail and sharper transients. They are quite a bit more efficient (at around 98db/w), so part of the improvements I'm hearing could be that they are a better match for my 300B Parallel SET amp. But even with limited break-in, these speakers are pretty stunning. 

I think all speakers sound best when they are given some space in the room (e.g. away from room boundaries), but open baffle speakers really demand this to achieve their magic. I have mine 7 feet from the front wall and about 3 1/2 feet from the side walls.

I heard a set of Spatial speakers, can’t remember the model bit less sensitive ones, at the Pacific Northwest audio show, and was very impressed. I like them more than the linkwitz. I would like to know more about the GR research line. Particularly whether it is still possible to still put together a pair of line force. @jaytor do you know? But also just how they compare to other open baffle offerings.