Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy
You'd be surprised with what some modifications and tweaks to your Hlly T-amp, Playstation 1 and Klipsch Forte II's would do. I have replaced the caps in my Forte II's crossovers, replaced the internal wiring, and the stock Phenolic tweeter diaphragms with Titanium diphragms from Bob Crites Speakers. On my Tripath TA2020-based T-amp (similar to the Hlly), I installed better Panasonic FM low ESR caps for DC decoupling and new signal input caps. Then, of course, I modified the output stage and power supply in my Playstation. I use the T-amp as a power amp with my Audio Research LS7 line stage preamp. A little DIY and about $200 in parts will transform your system to one rivaling a $2,000-$3,000 system.
Rhing, thanks for the tips. I am aware of the upgrade potential for this system. My first move will be new Crites tweeter diaphragms. I have limited tech knowledge. Wonder if the crossover can be split so I could use another amp for the woofers?
I like the Chinese approach to these little amps. They seem to watch how the DIYers mod them and incorporate the upgrades in the next generation. I have read about a "DC coupling" mod, but as I said before, I wish I knew my way around a soldering iron.
I have used my Grounded Grid pre with this setup, but usually use the amp alone. Thinking about getting something like a Little Dot mkIII to compliment the tiny amp.
Not sure about splitting the crossover so you can run two amps driving the Klipsch Forte's. I'm perfectly fine with using one amp. A good preamp will provide the needed gain to bring the Playstation's low output to an acceptable line level, so that all your T-amp needs to do is drive the speakers. The Grounded Grid preamp is a decent circuit, but can be much improved with good parts and tweaks to the design.

For the most part, I am not a big fan of Chinese hi fi equipment. I know that some brands have decent quality, but I've mostly found that parts and build quality are really lacking. I've been burned too many times with Chinese audio goods falling apart and just not sounding that great in stock form. More often than not, I find myself repairing them more than enjoying them.
I guess I am speaking specifically about the t-amps, what I have read, and only from my limited experience.
Really referring to the way they take notes from the DIY crowd. I know that even the second generation benefit from part upgrades and mods.
Just wanted to report that my PS has been 100% reliable. Despite reports of overheating problems, I have used it out on my deck many times for extended listening in summer temps without a hitch. Also, in totally stock form, I think it sounds excellent (unlike some other hyped "budget wonders"). The $15 I paid for it puts the price/performance ratio in the down right ludicrous zone!