Magnepan LRS in the house!

I've been a Magnepan fan since day one. Recently I decided to trade up from my MMGs to the new LRS. I had someone hot and heavy to buy the MMGs so I let them go a few months ago and called Magnepan to order the new LRS. I was informed that in a couple months there would be a new version of the LRS called LRS+. So I decided to wait on the order and see early reviews. The reviews are way over the top! Some are claiming the best speaker ever made! So time to order, called Magnepan and was told that the current wait was 8-10 months!!! 

Si I ordered them and then tried to find a used pair of the older LRS to have something, Magnepan, to listen to over the winter. Luck would have it, there was a like new pair available in Colorado (I'm in Massachusetts). But I was too late...SOLD! Now it gets interesting. I posted a "Wanted To Buy" ad at US Audio Mart.....A fellow, one town over calls me and tells me he bought a pair from a guy in Colorado and when they showed up, his wife said "No Way Jose!"...Get them out of here!.....A plan made in heaven!

He delivered them on Saturday. Sunday morning I woke up early and welded up a set of risers as I read everywhere that using risers and placing the LRS dead vertical really makes them come alive.

Once the pain dried I set them up in the listening room.....Node2i into a Gustard X16 DAC...into a Schiit Freya...Into a Pass Labs First Watt F5v2.....

Oh my! These are NOT older Magnepan MMGs! HUGE improvement! These speakers have bass..Well defined, tight, dynamic base! But the biggest difference is midrange vocals...Not sure the risers are the reason, but vocals are right there! No moving around. I'm still playing with placement for imaging and sound stage, but even just plopped down in the room, they are magnificient!

Going to be a great winter!

rbertalotto

Thanks rbertalotto for sharing the info.I  have everything at hand in my scrap pile. Nice to have you as a member. 

Lou Hall (aka Audiomaze)

@allenf1963  That's a GREAT story. Makes me wonder how often that happened to customers I sold Maggies to in the 1970's-'80's from my shop.

As I have posted many times before, after we locked the doors for the day, we took the opportunity to not only hook-up EVERYTHING to EVERYTHING in my shop, which was a high-end shop I took over in 1976, we also hooked up our guitars (acoustic and electric), basses (electric), took out some brass (trumpets, sax, trombone), etc., and LISTENED to what was what.  It was then that my former love for Advent speakers ( and MANY others) died in about 3 seconds--nothing against Mr. Kloss, who was clearly a genius of his time--but we also realized that EVERY box in the shop was "changing" the sound of the recorded and live music.  No, Maggies were not "perfect" because ALL recordings, even the direct-to-disc ones from Lincoln Mayorga, are "processed" in some way in the recording studio.  BUT, they were the only speakers that just reproduced what you fed them, good, bad, or in between.  We did run Audio Research electronics as we were a big dealer of theirs, and the combo was magical.  Some may not remember that these two companies used to market their products together; funny that Wendall is now with Magnepan, but that is another story altogether.  

Glad you love your Maggies, and thanks so much for the wonderful story!

Cheers!

Yes, nice job @rbertalotto.  I am not a metalworker but do enjoy woodworking in my small basement shop.  So, I'm going to use some sturdy oak for my stands.  I don't think the angles in your design will work with wood though.  We'll see 

No reason a good piece of oak wouldn’t work with these angles. Speakers don’t weigh much

the little maggies are indeed special... in the right size room, right setup, they perform much magic, well beyond most box speakers multiples of their price - keys, as mentioned already, is to stand them exactly upright and lift off ground by 6-8 in to elevate soundstage

in my experience rel subs do very well with maggies, even the smaller rels, if the room is fairly easily loaded with the sub output, a pair is even better than a single...

as for amplifiers, maggies do demand strong clean power, and with a resistive 4 ohm load, they want substantial current delivery when called for too... high value amps that do very well are odysseys, belles, van alstine, mid hegels, mid to upper musical fidelity, mid naims - also don’t overlook older excellent solid state amps like marsh, forte, classe, bel, thresholds, muse and so on, so long as the amps are in good shape, not needing maintenance/recapping etc