Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy
That sounds like a good plan.Psu is my next up grade also.
My psu is stock with 1.5 amp slow burn fuse and
reboxed.Separating the psu has solved the heat issue.Its tightened up the bottom end. With the major benefit being the mids are now pronounced.I use the a/v output rather than the rca Using the a/v cord is the the most effective tweak a ps1 owner can do,I think theres only one cap in the a/v path and 3 in rca. Please let me know how psu upgrade works/sounds for you.I'd like to see some pics of your rebox also
Souterncross,

I thought you might be "Audio Luddite" on diyAudio. Your high gloss black Acrylic enclosure is beautiful and matches your McIntosh MC-240 very well. I'll post this link to your post on the Playstation 1 thread on diyAudio.com:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1651350#post1651350

I recommend anyone reading this thread to check out Souterncross' detailed enclosure build.

Besides my Playstation 1 mod project, I am also building a PassDIY B1 buffer preamplifier (same as First Watt B1 Buffer Preamplifier) and finishing my Class D amp. Needless to say, I'll be busy this coming Winter tinkering in my garage shop.
Woah! That is sweet! Thanks for the links. I will show my dad and maybe we have a winter project in store!

db
As an update, I upgraded the power supply caps on my Playstation 1. I replaced the MKT X2 line filter cap with a Wima MKP10 cap of similar rating. Next, I installed a low ESR, high ripple current Nichicon CS electrolytic cap for primary stage smoothing. For the secondary stage smoothing caps, I installed a combination of Nichicon KT audio-grade electrolytics and Panasonic FM electrolytics with a bit more capacitance. After about 45 days of periodical listening, the improvements are quite noticeable. For one, the Playstation now has outstanding dynamic range. Where some crescendos and audio peaks would sound a bit compressed and the soundstage would collapse, the music just tracks smoothly with expanding volume and peaks without a hint of sibilance or loss of detail. If you know the RCA Living Stereo SACD hybrid disc recording of Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition," you might know what I'm talking about. The bass is signficantly deeper and better defined than before. The level of detail has further improved in the mids and highs, especially with bells, cymbals, chimes and brush work. I am sure that another contributing factor is that the Black Gate N caps I installed in the signal output stage have more than 200 hours of play time now. The best part about these upgrades and mods is that the Playstation's special midrange texture and detail is still there. It's like upgrading from a Rega to a Linn Sondek LP12--you just retrieve more music from the disc while improving on musicality.

I recently scored on some 4.7uF/25V Sanyo OS-CON (Organic SemiCONductor) electrolytic caps that I've been experimenting with as DC blocking caps in the signal path. These might be even better than the Black Gates, and they don't have the long burn-in period that Black Gates require. We'll see...