Sony Playstation 1 for a CD player ???

I'm using a sony playstation 1 for a cd player and it is a REAL SHOCKER!! I heard about how good it was over on 6moons.com Is anyone else using these as cd players too?
hifisoundguy
@rhing, you say the arrow on the isoclean fuse should be pointing toward the front of the PS1 rom the rear, how do you know this?

is this from personal perception (ie, you favour the sound this way) or have you actually measured the continuity with measuring tools?

thanks.
Hi Ive been using a PS for a few a while now.

Just completed separting the power supply and reboxed it.I'm using a mini $5 PS2 remote control the sensor is hidden inside the new chassis.
These very simple mods have improved the top and bottom end.The mids were good to start with and just got better.

Take a look DIY Audio theres is a thread a zillion pages long on how to mod it up,if you get stuck someone will put you on the right track.If I can do it,just about anyone can.

All up its cost me about $85 AUD.They may not be the best player out there,but your wallet will be a hellva lot lighter by a long way if you want to better it.
I'll post some pics of the pimping of my ps1 in ever evolving today.
I have been using mine for a week now and it sings!

Beats the pants off of my OPPO 980h.

Post those pics :-)

db
To Quaddy,

I just traced the power input from the AC connector and switch to the power supply input. Since then, I have found there are a few variations of the power supply board, so it might vary from unit to unit even though the model number (e.g., SCPH-100X, SCPH-550X, etc.) may be the same. I recommend using a meter to check continuity. To be honest, I haven't tried reversing the Isoclean fuse to hear any difference. All I know is that installing the fuse made a noticeable improvement in low end definition, further reducing background noise (very negligible to begin with) and dynamic response. I believe HiFi Tuning and other alternative fuses are "non-directional," so this may be a moot issue.

To Souterncross,

I plan to separate the power supply also and re-case everything. I'll replace some of the caps on the power supply and install a Furutech IEC inlet to allow use of a standard 3-prong IEC plug. For a DC power cable between the power supply and main unit, I'll use a high quality 5-pin DIN connector cable (a la Naim power supplies). I am also planning to fabricate a quality wooden cabinet for the main unit. The power supply will go into an extruded Aluminum project box to minimize RFI. I also plan to use higher quality Vampire RCA ouput jacks for the stereo output. I am very happy with the Black Gate N 4.7uF and 22k PRP metal oxide resistors for the simple output stage. The sound is very clear, detailed, extended and organic. Anyone who has modded a Playstation 1 has found out just how good the Playstation can be for Red Book CD playback. I don't think I could ever go back to a stock unit again.
That sounds like a good plan.Psu is my next up grade also.
My psu is stock with 1.5 amp slow burn fuse and
reboxed.Separating the psu has solved the heat issue.Its tightened up the bottom end. With the major benefit being the mids are now pronounced.I use the a/v output rather than the rca Using the a/v cord is the the most effective tweak a ps1 owner can do,I think theres only one cap in the a/v path and 3 in rca. Please let me know how psu upgrade works/sounds for you.I'd like to see some pics of your rebox also