Current sensing phono stages w/Rega?

Hey folks,

Anyone using Channel D Lino C 2.0 or the Sutherland Little Loco with a Rega RP8? 

I got some great advice here on researching my first cartridge and phono stage upgrade.

Cartridge was upgraded from the Exact MM to the Ania Pro MC on my Rega RP8.

After researching the suggested phono stages, I home demoed a Musical Surroundings Nova III (with both stock walwart and optional LPS), Rega ARIA MK3 MM/MC, Black Ice Audio F159, and a Konus Audio Vinyle 1000MC Mark II.

The Konus is the only current sensing unit and the one I like the best. 

Two other current sensing units I would like to try are the Channel D Lino C 2.0 and the Sutherland Little Loco but came across the following:

The Absolute Sound Channel D Lino C 2.0 review excerpt:

Briefly, any phono cable/tonearm combination where twisted-pair-conductor cables are employed and the two conductors are not connected to the turntable (or shield) ground can be used. An example of a tonearm/cable that can’t be used would be a standard Rega ’arm where the shield is connected to one of the outer shells of the RCA, which is also a signal connection.

Stereophile Sutherland Little Loco review excerpt:

Your tonearm wiring must be fully balanced between cartridge and phono preamp, with no connections between any of the tonearm leads and ground. That means that the Little Loco won't work, for example, with your Rega arm, unless it's rewired. 

Has anyone rewired a Rega to work with either?

Thanks everyone!

hleeid

With an output impedance of 10 ohm, I don’t think this cartridge (Ania Pro) is the best choice for a current-based phono pre-amp. . .

I would recommend upgrading your cartridge: when I had a P8, I never appreciated vinyl more than after I got a Linn Krystal, and then I got a Koetsu Rosewood, which was even better.

I think 10 ohms would work fine, for one thing because 12 ohms works fine with my AT ART7, but you really do have to be sure about balanced wiring. In most cases the tonearm wiring easily adapts to balanced mode, but with Rega being British, all bets are off. The reason for extreme caution is that with no or very low load resistance on the phono end you run the risk of damage to your cartridge due to a jolt of current.

May depend on what the actual fixed impedance is on the specific phono preamp.

I believe my Aqvox is actually 10 ohms but the BMC, also designed by Carlos Candeias, is 3 or 4 ohms.

I use a SAEC C1 (40 ohms internal impedance and .4 mV output) and it sounds wonderful with the Aqvox. At least as good (but slightly different) than my Accuphase AC2 which has a 4 ohm internal impedance and lower output.

10 ohms internal impedance should be fine. 

According to the Sutherland website, the MkII version of the Little Loco, “It is “good to go” with no special concerns on turntable signal wiring.

The original little LOCO had an essentially balanced input signal requirement. The signal came in on both the RCA center pin and the RCA shell. There was a strict requirement that the RCA shell float above ground.

The newly designed Mk2 transimpedance input stage is now single ended. The signal comes in on the RCA center pin. The RCA shell is at ground level.”