Tube preamp options

My system from the preamp on consists of a rouge rp-7, rogue m180 monoblocks, and vandersteen quatro wood speakers. My main source is a brinkmann Bardo through a Rogers PA-2 phono pre. It all sounds great. But there's that itch, you know? I get tremendous soundstage but not that much depth. Clarity is great, mids are nice, bass is excellent. But it doesn't quite have that in the room sound that I'm looking for. The RP7 sounded too solid state and analytical for me out of the box with the stock JJ tubes so I've done extensive rolling. Been through all sorts of NOS tubes and landed on amperex as they seem to have the best balance of warmth and clarity. My thought is, maybe I can find a pre that has those attributes out of the gate without all the rolling. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea of being able to tailor the sound with trying different tubes but I feel like maybe there's a brand out there who's house sound I like better. I haven't listened to anything more yet but brands that are on the list to check out are Backert labs, maybe a used ARC Ref 6, VTL, VAC. There are a million little boutique brands tho and I'm asking what people have heard in the 10k price range, new or used, that might be a good fit for me and why. 

Thanks! 

rmdmoore

@rmdmoore "jerryrig" is a harsh term, but you are correct in that XLR connectors don't imply a true balanced design, and that's not the case here. @big_greg would know, but I thought the Herron also is not balanced. 

Our mutual friend, @tomic601, recently got the Vandy amps, he might chime in,  although he hasn't been here recently. I've never had the pleasure to hear them, but I'd never doubt RichardV.'s work. Cheers,

Spencer

OP - Spencer is right, i don’t post much here anymore…but your thread interests me beyond the Vandersteen aspects…

ALL of the preamps so far mentioned have or are capable of significant soundstage depth… It has been a bit but i don’t remember the RP7 being deficient in that parameter… it’s no REF6 but it can’t be given $ constraints….

On fully balanced from input to output vs having balanced inputs and outputs..obviously fully balanced is more expensive to implement properly and i certainly wouldn’t use it as a filter to choose a competent high end component.

Both the Vandy amplifiers, M5 and M7 do use a balanced input…BUT…. are very inovative downstream of that and as you know designed to excell w time and phase correct powered bass Vandy speakers. I could list the ten or so circut or other details…. but you can find those on the Vandy site. I have had the M7 amplifiers w ARC Ref5se for many years. I have heard the M5 amps at length, obviously excellent w Quattro.

You might consider joining the Vandy owners forum. Richard might weigh in on extracting more image depth and “ there “ out of your setup. I have setup a few pair of Quattro….they are capable of much….

Finally…i might counsel you to wait a few months for…the Vandy preamp…rest assured the design goal is to better the REF6, which IMO is no small feat…..

I have one on order…unheard….

maybe that’s the true definition of fanboy trust :-))))

oh…i forgot to mention Brinkmann. Brinkmann and Vandy pair fantastically- Helmut and Richard typically show together at the Munich Audio show… I have a Bardo / Triplaner / Lyra Delos on HRS base. I have heard some of the electronics in Mk I trim but not the newer Mk2…. i would put them on my audition list for DAC and Phono….

Best to you Jim 

@sbank thx for the mention…i have been slow to engage here after fishing season…. rocking out w Continental Devide….. perfect LA band…..

and i have a Herron phono…. Keith is a great dude - super gear…definitely neutral…. no rose colored orchestra there…..

@tomic601 thanks so much for weighing in. Your I put is valuable as we seem to already have arrived at some similar solutions. It would seem we are interested in some of the same things. I had an ARC Ref3 in my styem for a couple weeks and didnt think it was better than what I had but I admit, it's an older piece and would expect a Ref6 to be much better. While I'm interested in ARC I also find them to be on the very high end cost wise. I understand that going up from where I am the cost/benefit ratio will change but it's still in my mind. 

The idea of a Vandy preamp is intriguing. I wonder if it will be tubed or not. I'm not going to purchase for some months but living where I do I need to make plans to go hear all this stuff and that will likely take some trips to NYC and maybe the great white north. I also appreciate you're comment on the Brinkmann. I've been in touch with the distributor and he's willing to have me to his house to take a listen. I might need to take him up on that. 

Russ