how were copies of vinyl made in "third-party" countries

I have some LPs from the former Yugoslavia, Holland, Hungary, Russia (bought them way back when in bulk) and now I wonder what the process was and how close they are to the original? 

I assume they weren't digitized, they were released in the 70s and early 80s. Anyone knows what they would receive from the recording studio/company/warehouse? Tapes, the "negatives"? Are there copies considered better than others?

grislybutter

To add a bit to the cacophony, in the 60s, 70s, and 80s, where you sometimes had the same performance available on Decca, London, and/or Angel labels, one always knew to seek out the British pressing over the US pressing. Same went for EMI vs Capitol.

I know a lot of audiophiles in Hungary, they swear by US LPs and CDs as if God created them. The grass is always greaner....

and I just looked: my 90s Hungarian LPs are absolute crap while 70s and 80s are delightful. So much for capitalism :)

I agree with the terrible quality of pressings which came from Russia and Czechoslovakia, same with their CDs.

I also look for the country of origin of the band and it's record label. There are so many UK albums with good SQ. I have also found that many German releases are superior to US, maybe it's better QC or they don't have the philosophy of cranking out product.

One more thought; I've found Decca pressings to be outstanding. I have an issue with the budget Angel releases, they sound like they were made with inferior masters. No resemblance to Decca or London.

my 90s Hungarian LPs are absolute crap while 70s and 80s are delightful. So much for capitalism :)

I wouldn't condemn an entire economic system based on a few bad LPs.  :)