Parity

I’ve finally achieved parity between my digital and analog sides.
With the acquisition of a new turntable ((Feickert Volare,) I’m at last enjoying both formats equally.

An observation between the two: They are definitely different in character and each has its own sonic signature. Analog is more spacious and for lack of a better word, mellow. Digital is more finely etched. Each has a very well defined sound stage.
Both are a pleasure to listen to now.

128x128rvpiano

@thyname and @rvpiano: Audiogon member @slaw---whose opinions I greatly respect---having worked long and hard at optimizing his LP player and the system it feeds, decided he didn’t want to do the same for digital sources, so eschews CD’s/SACD’s/etc. altogether.

Though I understand and respect that decision and stance, in my case there are just too many albums I absolutely love---both Pop and Classical---that have been made available only on CD for me to not have a disc spinner. I don’t expect the two formats to sound the same, but then we all know sound quality amongst LP’s varies greatly too. There are plenty of CD’s that sound better than some LP’s, but even if they didn’t I need and listen to them because of the music they contain.

I’m a music lover first, an audiophile second. I don’t use my recordings to make my system sound good, I use my system to make my recordings sound good, or at least as good as they can. That applies equally to LP’s and CD’s/SACD’s. It is Steve’s position that a system optimized for one will inherently be less than optimum for the other. Comments and/or opinions on that position? Are the two formats so inherently different that each needs a playback system optimized for itself?

bdp24, Well said and mirrors my thoughts exactly. I also tend to agree with Steve's position, at least it reflects my feelings.

I put together a near SOTA system in the 80's (not because I was smart but because I could) and found that early digital was unlistenable however, unfortunately concurrently, LP's quality had degenerated to a point that I was not buying either new digital or analog (and didn't have the knowledge or intelligence to buy up used LP's becoming available). Then I got a good CDP and some good recordings (performances and recordings)  and I finally had access to lots of music that I had missed and the musical content of my digital collection quickly exceeded my LP collection (substantially) and the quality quickly challenged the analog system.

Ultimately I found that maintaining (and using) a vinyl recording system was too time consuming, fussy, and although often the results were far superior to my digital it was, for me, counter productive to use the analog stuff any longer. So I gave it away, everything, and went strictly to digital. And without the analog any longer I found that I was able to focus on, and improve, my digital system as well.

For those reasons I agree with Steve. I'm a happy camper now and I'm pretty much back where I started, trying to focus on the music. I still respect the 'audio' aspects but not so much.  :-)

Well, I had two directions I could go.  I could: 1. Abandon records altogether (as above,)  or 2. totally revamp my analog system.  I chose the latter. Although I have some second thoughts about the decision, I have come to the conclusion that they both make very pleasurable sounds.  And each has its own unique character.  And, as such, I can enjoy both.

So much of your enjoyment comes from what you bring with you to the table.  
Your state of mind can create a pleasurable or negative experience.  That’s why listening for the MUSIC rather than the sound is the way to go.

When digital came out in the 80s I was still on the side of analog. Simply sounder better than early digital. With so much good music not available on vinyl I finially purchased a CD player. Around 2010 when I decided to get back to audiophillia and develop a better system I transitioned towards digital only system. Primarily do to wanting to direct my expenses toward optomizing a single source. With digital I still spin CDs via transport and DAC. I do some streaming via Apple computer to find new music. I am exploring the purchase of a dedicated streamer however not in any hurry. The TT I purdchased for the system that carried me for 25 years remains on a shelf in the basement. I maybe have 125 albums stored there also. Been thinking I should break the TT out and play some of those I used to play for my 1st child way back when. I appreciate that there is fun in vinyl however I am happy with the way digital serves up the music in my system.

More to discover