Zu Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale today

The good folks at Zu certainly know a thing or two about creating hype around new products. The Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale this morning. It was positioned as a first come first served release with a November delivery. I bought a pair with the "supreme" upgrade. A little risky buying without hearing them first, but I figure I can probably unload them if they're not to my liking, since they'll probably sell out. Any thoughts on these or Zu in general for that matter ..

128x128davidrolon

I received my Union 6 Supreme speakers yesterday and set them up for an audition next to my Omen MK II speakers today.

Let me start by saying I’m very happy with my Omen speakers but curiosity got the better of me and regardless of how hard I tried to fight the urge I eventually gave in and made the purchase.

Directly out of the box the Union 6 Supreme sounds superb to my ears. I hear greater extension, more detail, and a crisper sound. The instruments and voices sound more as if they are in the room with a wider and deeper soundstage and in addition to that it sounds as if I have moved from row 12 to row 6 closer to the stage.

I had such strong deep bass that I had to double-check and make sure that my pair of REL T7i subwoofers were not connected. Very impressive bass ;-)

Equipment used:

Allnic T-1500 Integrated 300B (12.5 watts class A)

Audio Research Reference CD7

Power cords, interconnect, and speaker cables are all Grand Lavricables 5N silver.

Music used: Hugh Masekela Hope cd and The Wonderful World of Three Blind Mice 24K Gold cd which has a great diversity of jazz tracks, Motown 50 Fanthology cd.

So I was reading up on Zu, and found this on their web site:

"Not because of some great googly moogly “climate change” geopolitical power play nonsense"

which sounds like mocking climate change or denying it, not sure, whichever version or half of it is enough to turn me off (besides the generally condescending tone of the section. I want to give them the benefit of the doubt, this was written in 2013 and they may have changed their opinion since then - but it’s a very dumb sentence regardless

"

"

Agreed with @lak. Zu is basically stating they care and agree about environment concerns by building stuff that lasts that won’t end up in landfills and don’t need to fit themselves into any schema in order to promote this idea.

Doesn’t seem against climate change to me. It just means that they don’t feel it necessary to "brand" it as a market play or to get involved into the political nature that it does typically evolve into. 

If you want very safe and non-direct marketing there are plenty of other speaker companies out there. The nice thing about Zu is the direct connection the customer has to the employees and the CEO. You'll notice this sending them an email and also showing up to their business. That can also mean direct communication without a PR team spinning anything. Sean has no problem being super transparent to how he thinks and feels. 

Sean was absolutely nice to me and was really enjoyable to talk to. He seemed like someone that didn't just want to say hi and get back to work, but to actually inquire to know more about you.

I dig it. Not sure of any other major "company" (of probably 8-10 people) or larger gives the same experience like that.

BTW, LOVING my DW6s. I actually considered lowering the bass some last night, so I think they are still working themselves in.