Luxman Knockoffs or Counterfeits?

Living in the US, it has been very difficult finding a Luxman on the used market. I see lots of models on ebay selling from Japan. The listings look suspicious to me - different sellers with the exact same photo of the product; sometimes the same photo with one seller naming a different model number than another seller, but using the same photo.    

I found one Japanese ebay seller who seems to be legit, Monotokyo, based on seller reviews, but I am hesitant to rely on ebay seller reviews.  

Does anyone have information about Luxman knockoffs or counterfeits? 

audiojerry

Before you invest in Ebay, have you looked at Luxman Dealers north across the border in Canada? The dollar ratio is in your favor at $1us to $1.25cdn. I'm pretty sure there are a few Luxman Dealers up here willing to take your money and ship to the US, and the kicker, no transformers required. You will just have to pay what US Customs will charge, same as Ebay and importing from Japan. 

Speaking of Customs. I asked one of the ebay sellers from Japan about Customs. It was my understanding that the seller/shipper must provide the Customs - HTS Harmonized Tariff Schedule - code in order for Customs to determine the fee, but thiis seller said he never had to provide a code in the past. I know there are specific codes for audio components. 

What happens if he ships to US without a HTS code? 

@tim_p 

I am not privy to customs regs in any sense...but I have bought several Bryston products and never heard a word about it.  And the purchase was even below the MSRP (new pieces).

To your original point, don't play in an arena that you are not 100% comfortable with.  And by that I mean if you get screwed you are good with that.

Personally I wouldn't deal with the uncertainty unless see above.

Regards,

barts

The most favorable exchange rate in 40 plus years for the US dollar against the Yen, so a Luxman EQ500 that retails Stateside for US6,700 is 3,200 retail in Tokyo today and a lightly used example might be around 2,500

but; don’t deal with the Uncertainty, 120V dropped down to 100V is a Disaster, Mr XYZ has GREAT deals locally so… just be patient and the real kicker, for those prices these must be counterfeit!

sure… sure…

G

Okay, I did not have time to read the entire thread; however, there are so many knock off Luxman units that just buying from a United States source does not mean it is an authentic Luxman product.  The buyer MUST contact Luxman to confirm serial number…Even that interaction does not completely confirm the reality…