What is the “World’s Best Cartridge”?

I believe that a cartridge and a speaker, by far, contribute the most to SQ.

The two transducers in a system.

I bit the bulllet and bought a Lyra Atlas SL for $13K for my Woodsong Garrard 301 with Triplanar SE arm. I use a full function Atma-Sphere MP-1 preamp. My $60K front end. It is certainly, by far, the best I have owned. I read so many comments exclaiming that Lyra as among the best. I had to wait 6 months to get it. But the improvement over my excellent $3K Mayijima Shilabi was spectacular-putting it mildly.

I recently heard a demo of much more pricy system using a $25K cartridge. Seemed to be the most expensive cartridge made. Don’t recall the name.

For sure, the amount of detail was something I never heard. To hear a timpani sound like the real thing was incredible. And so much more! 
This got me thinking of what could be possible with a different kind of cartridge than a moving coil. That is, a moving iron.

I have heard so much about the late Decca London Reference. A MI and a very different take from a MC. Could it be better? The World’s Best? No longer made.

However Grado has been making MI cartridges for decades. Even though they hold the patent for the MC. Recently, Grado came out with their assault on “The World’s Best”. At least their best effort. At $12K the Epoch 3. I bought one and have been using it now for about two weeks replacing my Lyra. There is no question that the Atlas SL is a fabulous cartridge. But the Epoch is even better. Overall, it’s SQ is the closest to real I have heard. To begin, putting the stylus down on the run in grove there is dead silence. As well as the groves between cuts. This silence is indicative of the purity of the music content. Everything I have read about it is true. IME, the comment of one reviewer, “The World’s Best”, may be true.

mglik
Post removed 

One fact about the Decca/London pickups with which I’m sure @noromance agrees with me is that they are more critical of the tonearm onto which they are mounted than are just about all other designs. No cantilever, no mechanical damping, a very high level of mechanical energy transferred into the arm tube and bearings, models other than the Reference and Jubilee having a somewhat resonant body---which may be ameliorated by having the stock plastic mounting bracket replaced with the optional Decapod top plate. And the design suffers from a high frequency resonance, mitigated by electrical damping (varying amounts of capacitance and resistance so as to create a "tank circuit". You can read all about it in the writings of Decca enthusiast/expert Harvey Rosenberg of New York Audio Labs).

Once optimized in an appropriate and suitable arm, and amplified with an appropriate RIAA phono amp which can handle the pickups 5mv output (!), the Decca/London’s have an extremely alive, startlingly dynamic, somewhat "forward" (but also reproducing the depth in recordings as do few others) "robust" sound, producing music with great immediacy and presence. The "horn loudspeaker" of cartridges, if you will. Not for sissies ;-) .

Bdp, I owned a Decca London back in the 90s and your synopsis is a good one. Especially comparing it at its best to a horn loudspeaker.

back it up by inviting anyone to come and listen with me.....anytime. if you were here in my room would you go on and on like your posting? would anyone?🙄

I've been to Mike's.  He is a gentleman and very gracious and generous.  In talking with him, it's clear that he's humble and while he has a great deal of knowledge, he's also a continuous learner.  There isn't a hint of braggadocio or ego, just a love for music. 

As far as his system goes, all I can say is wow!  It's far and away the best I've heard.  He's put the work into his room and has taken a system approach that has resulted in something magical. 

This forum is following the pattern of others I've seen, where over time the experienced and knowledgeable members leave because of a few know-it-all egotistical posters.  After a while, most of the posters that are left are inexperienced members asking basic questions and then the next level of experienced members start leaving and after a while, the forum shrinks and becomes relatively inactive. After some time, what you end up with for the most part is the blind leading the blind.

There's a level of anonymity and insulation that the internet provides.  Some of you might behave in person exactly like you do on the internet, but in real life you wouldn't be invited back to someone's home or to hang out with a group of friends.

I've learned a lot from this forum and others and look for every opportunity to pay it back.  In that spirit, I try to limit my comments and opinions to things that I have actual experience with either in my system or that I've heard in a friend's system.  I don't want to be part of the "noise".

@noromance 😁😁😁

@mikelavigne , Listening to music together and sharing the experience is a totally different proposition then trying to describe what something sounds like at a 2000 mile distance. In listening together you now have the framework to interpret what that individual is trying to tell you. Now their opinion has meaning.. It is a shame that we are unable to do more shared listening. Perhaps we should form regional groups that get together once or twice a year giving group opinions on this that and the other. Since we are both LZ fans I'm sure we could loosen a few fillings. That has to be the box set of all time. But then there is that Bill Evans Riverside box.....