Can someone help me pick out my first speakers?

I am not tech-savvy at all, and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I'm looking for a pair of small decent home speakers for music in the $300 range.

I've heard people on reddit discourage people from buying Beats and Bose but that's the extent of my knowledge! Can someone recommend a pair of speakers to me? Or direct me to the correct subreddit if I'm not in the right place?

Thank you!

pehrafano

Kanto YU Passive 5.25" for $239 at Crutchfield. They are not audiophile but they rock, The way to go no matter what speakers you decide on is to buy at a place with a good return policy.

As repeated many times here, yo have to hear the end result. I strongly recommend you find a half dozen music selections that you are familiar with then take disks or even song names from known streaming sites, to a store that can provide you with a reasonable approximation of your system and environment. This is becoming almost impossible now-days but once in a while it can be done. I know that in Denver there wasn't one single store that could accommodate me when looking for a new theatre system. Don't take no for an answer. If they aren't willing to provide you with a decent audition, they don't disserve your hard earned money.

Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed speakers is strong contender for your price range. 

Hey gang, I just want to say that I’m impressed with how many of you engaged

with the OP I  attempting to help him

with his $300 budget. Anyone claiming that audiophiles (at least the ones here) should be referred to this post/thread.