Can someone help me pick out my first speakers?

I am not tech-savvy at all, and I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place to post it, but I'm looking for a pair of small decent home speakers for music in the $300 range.

I've heard people on reddit discourage people from buying Beats and Bose but that's the extent of my knowledge! Can someone recommend a pair of speakers to me? Or direct me to the correct subreddit if I'm not in the right place?

Thank you!

pehrafano

Good suggestions above but trust your own ears first and foremost.  Kind of like saying pick a liquid to drink.  Some will say water, soft drinks, milk, others beer, wine, scotch, etc..  I for example like many of the above but for some reason have yet to hear a Polk that I liked.  Polk hits my ears like sour milk hits most people's taste buds.  I can be with people and we're all listening to Polk and they are ear to ear smiles, while I'm in misery.  Good luck and happy listening. 

@hoosierinohio 

I second what hoosier said.  In this price range, there will be very different sounds signatures so you really need to listen to see what fits your ears the best.  I was shopping for my Dad hears ago and some sounded great and some very flat.   Look for sales or close outs.  I saw some speakers on music direct that were about 40% off in the mid priced range.  

Yep I fully agree with @hoosierinohio. and @12many. You must listen to speakers before you buy them... if you can.  And what someone likes in terms of sound is really different for everyone. Klipsch, Magnepan, Devore Audio, Wilson, B&W and so many others sound so different, but also good.

Welcome!  You’re definitely in the right place and lots of excellent recommendations above.  I’ll add another vote for the Wharfedale Diamonds, but if you can stretch to $599/pr the LSA Signature 50 is in another league entirely.  Here’s a review by a member here…

http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/lsa-signature-50-loudspeakers-by-terry-london/

Best of luck!