Sad songs- We love them- We need them

Hello everyone,

I was listening the other day to a sad song on my playlist and realized their ability to invoke a powerful emotional reaction. Usually about someone in your life. Your children, your special lady or man or maybe someone who is no longer living. I realized we need these songs to remind us life is short and to remember what is most important to us. I thought I would ask everyone to list a song or two that is special to them. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a sad song. I have children so I will start with a few songs that remind me to tell them I love them more often or give them an extra hug or two. 

Cats in the cradle- Harry Chapin

Jacobs Dream - Allison Krause 

Hell Is for Children- Pat Benetar

Ron

ronboco

Randall Knife, Guy Clark.

First heard several years prior to my father's death. Couldn't listen to it for a long time after. Fair warning.

Sorry if it has already been mentioned, Kristofferson's Sunday Morning Coming down and  Merle Haggard's How Did You Find Me here, off of his second to last album, I am What I Am. Enjoy the music

@switzer145 another vote for "Sweet Old World"! Yes!

However, as much as I like Emmy Lou’s cover of it, I am prejudiced and I love the original by Lucinda Williams.

Hello in There. John Prine

Lilac Wine Nina Simone

**Lorraine Lori McKenna

When I Was a Boy Dar Williams

True Companion Mark Cohen

Atheist Chrismas Vienna Teng