Ordered a Willsenton R300

Everything I have read about this 300b tube amp has been very positive, particularly Steve Huff's review on his website.  I have always thought I would love the sound of 300b tubes and this is my chance to get one for a very modest price.  It ought to drive my Spatial Audio M4 Triode Masters very nicely.  I will report back my impressions of the amp when it is fully revealed to me. 

whitestix

I meant hum pots. Damn spell check  

“Hum balance pots are usually found with filament type tubes being operated off AC. AC on one pin is in opposite polarity of the other filament lead. The hum balance pot adjusts to a point where it cancels.  

Some used a center tapped resistor rather than pot. This works but not all tubes are exactly the same. The pot can adjust for differences”

Depends on how they are doing the DHT filaments.   I use regulated DC and they may well have DC filaments?

AC versus DC filament heating has been debated forever it seems. Some do argue that AC heating is more purist in approach (Require hum pots). However many/most of the highest regarded 300b amplifiers do choose to utilize DC heating (Do not require hum pots). As is typical for high end audio, there’s never 100% consensus on anything.

Charles

@whitestix 

I’ll be very interested in hearing your thoughts about the Willsenton amp. I have always been interested in getting a 300b amp, but have never had the speakers to make them sing.

I've ordered the Willsenton R300 as well.  Like whitestix I ordered through Amazon because of the ease of return if needed.  I've never owned a 300B amp.  This seemed like a good opportunity to satisfy that curiosity with minimal risk.  It will be used with JM Reynaud Offrande Supreme v2 speakers, rated 90db.  It's a small room and because it's an apartment listening levels are moderate.

What the hell do I do if I like it better than My Cary SLP-05/First Watt M2x?  Nah.  That won't happen.  I think.