iPod/iPhone Audio Quality

Hi,

I'm looking for a site or sites that break down the audio quality for the iPods and the (gasp!) iPhone. I did some searching but I thought I'd ping this group as well to, well, hopefully cut to the chase.

Pass on your links!

Thanks,

Jon
jwynacht
1. Larger ipods generally sound better than the smaller ones.
2. If you want to play via a stereo, then use a cable that will bypass the volume control and give you a straight line out.
3. And yess, higher bit rates are better, uncompressed is certainly really nice.
Art
There's no simple answer to your question. It's like asking what's the audio quality of vinyl.

The iPod can store CD-quality audio files, as Tarsando said, or compressed files that trade off audio quality for convenience in degrees according to the amount of compression.

The limiting factors in the audio quality of the iPod itself are the quality of the amplifier and digital-to-analog converter inside the device. You can bypass the amplifier by using a line-out connection from the dock connector but bypassing the DAC is, at this point, an expensive proposition.
Sorry...I meant the quality of the player itself. Assume that all of my music is in some sort of lossless format, which it is ;-)

And this is for the player itself, not connected to a stereo.