Best Examples Of Cymbal Decays On A Recording

Pleas provide an example of any recording with an outstanding cymbal decay.

...or, any recording that gives an excellent example that showcases a decay of a particular sound...whether a vocal or anything else.

Thank you.

128x128mitch4t

One of my favorites for crash cymbal / decay is Creedence “heard it through the grapevine”.  To me it requires a bit of focusing because the recording Seems to have the mics slightly at a distance from the drums.  Again, to me it’s one of the most elegant stereo recordings that pleases me.

if you compare, say to a Steely Dan recording, almost all instruments are recorded individually but Gadd’s crash cymbal is to my recollection at a distance from the mic giving it an underpowered effect. 

The album Love of a Lifetime by Oteil and the Peacemakers but especially the song Overcast.

Unfortunately (and the drummers should know this best ), recordings cannot capture / retain the sound of real drums, cymbals, high hats, etc. Recordings ( and the playback system ) fall short of reality. My modified and tweaked Lascalas are enjoyable playing recordings, but not like being close to a drum set. Just the reality of it.....