Record collecting versus hoarding

At what point does "collecting" records become hoarding? Unless you are in the business of selling records either primarily or even secondarily, why do so many people here talk about having 2,3,4,6,10,000 records and CDs? It's not stamps or coins.

Let's say you listen to records 15 hours a week (a good estimate for me) that equates to about 750 hours a year or 1000 records a year. I like to listen to mine at least once every three months - I have 300 records and change. In the rare instance when I replace one for a better sounding one (I've done it maybe 4-5 times), I immediately sell the old one - with only one exception. The Sgt Pepper UHQR. I already had it on the Beatles Collection and do occasionally listen to it when I want a treat. It does sound better than the regular Mofi one, which sounds great to me.

Why would you have multiple copies of the same record and not just listen to the best sounding one and sell the rest?

Why would you want records you listen to less than once a year?

Maybe some people listen a lot more than me (and replace cartridges/styli pretty ofter or have a bunch of them)?

The reason I bring this up is because Acoustic Sounds is releasing Steely Dan's studio albums from the 1970s on their UHQR brand (not sure how they now own the name and not Mofi, but that is not the point), I am a huge fan and will be getting a few of these overpriced (IMHO) records, which will replace a few of my non-audiophile (except the Aja Mofi) records. I plan to sell the Aja Mofi immediately after getting the UHQR, which I am sure will sound much better. That is worth a few bucks, but the others I sell should be worth $10-15 in trade at a record store.

Anyone with records they play less than once a year or keep multiple pressings of a single album, please let me know your rationale.

Are you a hoarder? Too lazy to get rid of them? Like the way they decorate your room?

sokogear

@sokogear ,You don't sing in the shower? 

As space is limited the inferior versions on vinyl go into storage, the ones in digital files get erased. I'll get a remaster of a favorite and erase whichever one is inferior. I have both digital and vinyl copies of many albums. I like the vinyl but I only play the computer when in the shop or garage for obvious reasons. It is also fun to compare the digital and analog versions. I do not sell anything.

@lewm , in 40 years nobody has complained. Very serious conversations took place in my office with the volume turned off, the ones you never want to have.

@lewm - if I can't get a record within 5 seconds, it is a major problem. Since I go through a series of rotations by music type and section, it never happens. I recently updated my rotation (I had to get another stackable bin due to expansion) to make it easier for me to equitably play the artists I only have single records from, so that will make it take the full 5 seconds. I know I am nuts... I do still listen to something that I just feel like listening to or vary the rotation a bit, but the point is I listen to all my 97% rotation records at least every 3-4 months or so. If someone wants to say once a year, that would make the max number of records that seem reasonable to me is about 1000. I think your disorganization or not knowing exactly where a record is or having to go down the basement to get a records would be unsettling for me, but if you're OK with it, that's great. Maybe you like some records better on one of the two systems for some reason.

@torojano  - time to throw out the 25 cent records, but at least you're not scalping.

@mijostyn - Mike - I didn't mean singing in the shower.... Anyhow, I think you moving your duplicate records of inferior sound quality into storage is problematic. Why not sell them to a record store and let someone who doesn't own that title enjoy them of maybe if they are really good 2nd best copies, others may want to upgrade their copy to your number 2. Plus, put a few bucks in your pocket to pay for new records. I'm with you on CDSs - don't have my player hooked up to my stereo and play them in my garage or car. The ones I like best out of my 150-200 or so have been rebought on vinyl if available. I was forced into them like a lot of others in the late 80s/early 90s when vinyl was not being produced in any quantities in the US. I resisted as long as I could. I hear SACDs are damn good, but a high quality SACD transport, DAC and power supply would probably cost more than an excellent turntable/cartridge/phono stage. 

can't speak for anyone else, but i will never stop buying records. at any given time i have between 2-5k on hand, but i trade and/or sell by the hundred or so - so my collection is always in flux. the most i've ever had at once was around 10,000 - i sold about half of those when it came time to move, and went on a nice vacation. 

there are around 1500 12"s and 250 or so 45s that i will probably never get rid of, but beyond that it really depends on what type of digging and listening i'm doing. there are periods where i listen for 7, 8 hours a day, and then other periods where i only want to play a single album or two late at night. sometimes i'll go to 2 or 3 stores in a day and come home with 100, other times i won't buy a record for months and just dig through what i have, pulling out 'must keep' and 'must sell' and 'give away' as i go.

i do replace things from time to time, but rarely have doubles of anything - i keep the one that sounds better and usually give the other away (unless the version i'm selling costs a lot).