Looking for advice

I’m looking at adding a streamer, Dac, and possibly a transport to utilize with an older integrated - Krell 400xi. I’m looking at starting with the bluesound node and a Cambridge audio transport. My speakers are Totem model 1 Signatures, with a Rel B1 sub. When I have more cash, looking to upgrade and get the Chord Qutest dac. Is this a good use of $$’s or am I better off getting a used Naim Uniti Atom and go with one box, plus a transport or eventually the Unitcore?

dgplo17

The transport is the easiest to replace.  I ripped all CDs to NAS, or you could use a streamer/server's internal, or USB drive.  I went with separate DAC and streamer and put money into the DAC and went with a relatively good price/performance option of Ifi Zen Streamer with upgraded power supply.  When money comes my way I will upgrade the streamer, but I'm happy with the ripped CDs and will not buy a transport.  Any time you use separates, the problem is that you can spend a fortune on power cables and USB/I2s interconnects.  So, I have an integrated amp, but I am settling for a bit less performance than going with separates.

Since today’s streaming can exceed or at least equal the sound quality of CDs… or ripped files, I would recommend putting all your money into a streamer and DAC,  This should allow getting off to a better start in streaming and ultimately a better sounding system. Blue sound is a good place to start… put more money into a separate DAC. You want a separate Streamer and DAC to allow independent upgrading. And single solutions are isolated and can be quieter and of higher quality. 

I’ve been at digital for forty years in about every combination possible. 

Does anyone have any experience or can comment on the zen mini mkiii?  This may be a good option for me to rip cd’s, and it’s a streamer DAC. In future, it allows me to upgrade the power supply and upgrade the DAC…keep as a streamer/ripper. I can forget about a credit transport. Blue sound vault another option…if I go towards separates, keeping the older Krell.