Best 12AU7 Type Tubes for a Preamp

I am hoping for some help finding good quality and good sounding 12AU7 variant tubes for a preamp – I need two tubes. A price of around $100 each or less would be great but I would pay a bit more (150 ea.) for something that is likely to sound better. The unit came with JAN PHILIPS ECC82 (12AU7/5963) and I also own a pair of reissue/new Mullard ECC92 tubes. Both sets are quiet but I am wondering if there is something even better sounding at a moderate price.

Readily available NOS options I have seen include:

• NOS RCA Blackplate or Clear Top at about $100-150 EA.
  • Amprex 7316/ECC186 at around $150 each, and
  • Mullard CV4003/12AU7 $150ea.

New options I have found (in addition to Mullard) include (among others):

• Genalex - Gold Lion B749 / ECC82/12AU7, $70 ea.
  • Psvane 12AU7-S Art Series ECC82, $55 ea.

Thanks for any help.

mitch2

Congratulations on the Amperex 7316 PQs, they will be amazing for you. I couldn't find my notes, I think I sent it in by accident with a lot of tubes I'm having tested again. If you do more tube rolling, here is a good source, and Brent's tubes are above reproach:

http://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

What kind of sound are you seeking?  Tube selection can add or subtract to what kind/color of sound you may be looking to achieve. I can recommend a source that was very helpful for me and that is Vintage Tube sales and Andy who you will  find at that location. I was a new to the tube shopping experience when I first ran into this site on a recommendation and found Andy VERY helpful. Experimenting with tubes can be - as with other things in this hobby- quite frustrating and I came to rely on Andy's advice to a great degree. Good luck. 

Shssh. Don't tell anyone, but the 1950sTung-Sol 12AU7s are really terrific. They're as old as me and I just bought a backup pair so go crazy out there!

I was recently asked a couple of questions related to this thread so I will partially answer here.

Q: Any update on how the new tubes sound in your system ?

• New Tubes: Amperex PQ 7316/ECC186 Holland Short Plate O-Getter 1965 Ct5. I have had these in the Hattor Tube Active Stage for a couple of weeks now and the tube stage is sounding the best it ever has. While the tube stage does not seem to be terribly sensitive to the tubes being used, the Amperex tubes seem a little more musical with maybe a little more definition than the new stock Mullards I was using. However, I could have lived with the sound from the Mullards.

Q: What changes does the tube buffer makes over the Big Preamp?

• I need to do more listening to answer this. As I remember it, I was impressed with the sound through the internal NewClassD op-amp active stage of Hattor’s The Big Preamp. The drive, dynamics, and clarity were very good but I need to make the time for a direct comparison with the Amperex loaded Tube Active Stage before I answer the question. However, as with the tube question above, my recollection is that I could live with either option, either the tube stage or the internal op-amp stage. BTW, my preferred gain with the internal active stage as I recall was +6dB. I will report back on this comparison after I listen some more.