Record collecting versus hoarding

At what point does "collecting" records become hoarding? Unless you are in the business of selling records either primarily or even secondarily, why do so many people here talk about having 2,3,4,6,10,000 records and CDs? It's not stamps or coins.

Let's say you listen to records 15 hours a week (a good estimate for me) that equates to about 750 hours a year or 1000 records a year. I like to listen to mine at least once every three months - I have 300 records and change. In the rare instance when I replace one for a better sounding one (I've done it maybe 4-5 times), I immediately sell the old one - with only one exception. The Sgt Pepper UHQR. I already had it on the Beatles Collection and do occasionally listen to it when I want a treat. It does sound better than the regular Mofi one, which sounds great to me.

Why would you have multiple copies of the same record and not just listen to the best sounding one and sell the rest?

Why would you want records you listen to less than once a year?

Maybe some people listen a lot more than me (and replace cartridges/styli pretty ofter or have a bunch of them)?

The reason I bring this up is because Acoustic Sounds is releasing Steely Dan's studio albums from the 1970s on their UHQR brand (not sure how they now own the name and not Mofi, but that is not the point), I am a huge fan and will be getting a few of these overpriced (IMHO) records, which will replace a few of my non-audiophile (except the Aja Mofi) records. I plan to sell the Aja Mofi immediately after getting the UHQR, which I am sure will sound much better. That is worth a few bucks, but the others I sell should be worth $10-15 in trade at a record store.

Anyone with records they play less than once a year or keep multiple pressings of a single album, please let me know your rationale.

Are you a hoarder? Too lazy to get rid of them? Like the way they decorate your room?

sokogear

@sokogear  I've been working on getting all of my records cataloged in discogs. Once you do that you can export to a spreadsheet. I'm pretty sure that if you already have a spreadsheet you can import it also.

been collecvcting classical music since the early 70 s.

had about 1500 lps -slimmed that down with cds replacing them have about 200 Lps left and maybe 500 plus cds thus far.

Intend to leave the cds to either a library or music school so others cn beenfit later.

Well that doesnt take into account recent moves to streaming by youger gen in particular but its still the plan.

As to how much you can listen to per day etc -wrong question .

Of course I can in no way ilsten to all my cds consecutively in any small time frame and the larger number of Lps even more true.

For me it was pure convenience -a matter of what I wanted to listen to combined with when.

Before streaming if I wanted to listen to Beethoven sym 4 conducted by Klemperer it was buy a hard copy or hope for a broad cast.

Thats why I invested in hard copies-same wd be true for other composers and conductors.

If your tastes werent mainstream well without an lp or cd good luck hearing minor but interesting composers.

Picked up the complete symphonies of Miaskovsky on cd for a decent price-very interesting to music students or those having an interest in Soviet era composers but not likely to be generally heard outside Russia for example.

These are some of the reasons I collected or hoarded.

Same with books I have a whole wall srcked with books Ive accumulated over time -some ive read many times others not.

They go to libraries when Im gone as well

Not interested in moving my spreadsheet to discogs. Right to privacy and all that.

If I ever sell any, it's mostly just bringing to my local record store, and sold one or two on eBay. I am registered on discogs just so I can get market value of records I look to buy.

BTW, 98% of my records are bought new, so I don't have a RCM. I don't agree with those who say you have to clean them right out of the factory. I brush them to remove dust before every playing. A long time ago I was told by a well known respected dealer in my formative years that if a record is clean, don't wet it. That's when I stopped using my Discwasher brush and fluid (remember those?) and went to the Audioquest and Hunt style brushes.

To test my theory, I took a few records to a dealer who had a RCM (I think it was a VPI) and brought a few of my oldest frequently played audiophile records and played them before and after cleaning and didn't notice a difference. Nor did the dealer trying to sell me the machine. He admitted it was mainly for all the people who buy used records below NM out there.

Humans treasure stimulus variation. We get bored with the same anything after a very short period. We also instinctively are drawn to music. These two factors result in large record collections. He who dies with the most records wins. Collecting is hording. So what? I should be ashamed because I have enough records to feed an orphanage for a year?  I already pay taxes. I trust my government to put it to good use. ( This is where we all vomit.) 

Seriously, records and music are a way of measuring time and history, in some ways better than photographs. Nobody I know has a photograph of the first time they had sexual intercourse but I sure do remember what was playing at the time and my mind will do the rest. I have an audio record of all the important times of my life. Is this hording or collecting? I could give a rat's -ss

Dust & Grooves neglected to contact me… their loss. Though I do not live in a tent in my back yard (yet), and I am having fun. So, how many records do I own? Many, my listening room walls are lined with them. And could not care less what other folks may define that as, or what their logic of collecting should look like. I imagine though, I would consider someone like me a collector. I would call myself a vinylphile. My collection started with a very few select jazz records that were in my dad’s collection. Possessing a library of sorts is a wonderful pass time and I feel so grateful and fortunate to have what I doing . In it, there are a number of records waiting for a rainy day, to be pulled down and enjoyed as a (new) listen, at our leisure. I love to compare pressings of favored recordings and most of all, sharing these performances is the best! I also sell and trade which is rewarding. Once read in an audio magazine, perhaps Audio, a comment that suggested that if you didn’t have invested 10x in media what you have invested in your kit, you are not a music lover but, a gearhead. I have always felt that that had some validity to it and showed where your priorities were. Mine are with the music over constant gear acquisitions and tweaking.

Happy Listening