Reminder: how to tell current from an amp's specs?

I have a sinking feeling that I've been here before but, as the subject line says, how can I tell an amp's current from its published specs? 

Thanks!

northman

You are correct but my point still stands. Krell amps are better than pretty much anything on the market when it comes to supplying current to low impedance loads and the increase in distortion is negligible at lower impedances.

Krell and other beefy amps may not be perfect but they are lightyears ahead of tube amps when feeding speakers with demanding impedance curves. Their less-than-perfect performance was taken into account by Jim Thiel and David Wilson when they voiced their demanding speakers using these amps.

Some Thiel owners say tube amps sound better, with more natural bass than solid state amps, just goes to show you don't know just going by the numbers, listening is the best policy.

The upcoming KRELL KSA i400 amp was measured recently with the following numbers according to my dealer.

- 400 Class A at 8 Ohm

- 800 (400 Class A) at 4 Ohm

- 1600  at 2 Ohm

- 2200 (I think) at 1 Ohm

When I had my Thiel CS3.7 (until 2 months ago) I used the CODA #8 and the KRELL DUO 175XD. Both amps were able to work in the 2 Ohm region. I could definitely hear the difference compared to an amp that could not deliver continuous power at the 2 Ohm region. I felt it was in the area of bass weight at all volume levels. 

All that gear is now sold  (KRELL sold today).

Some Thiel owners say tube amps sound better, with more natural bass than solid state amps, just goes to show you don't know just going by the numbers, listening is the best policy.

in statistics, we call those people outliers.