Zu Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale today

The good folks at Zu certainly know a thing or two about creating hype around new products. The Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale this morning. It was positioned as a first come first served release with a November delivery. I bought a pair with the "supreme" upgrade. A little risky buying without hearing them first, but I figure I can probably unload them if they're not to my liking, since they'll probably sell out. Any thoughts on these or Zu in general for that matter ..

128x128davidrolon

@fendersrule Hell yeah!  Do it yourself subs are awesome and affordable.  I’m not familiar with the Denon sound signature. However, if I don’t like my Cambridge Audio CXA61, I may just give your Integrated a shot.   I’m looking for something solid state that’s affordable and fun for non critical listening.  Tubes certainly aren’t getting any cheaper these days and I’m not someone with a stockpile laying around.  I’m also thinking about spending way more than I should on a bunch of well known solid state amps (Pass, First Watt, McIntosh, Benchmark, Simaudio, and LTA).  Yeah LTA isn’t solid state but they’re said to have redic tube life being driven at 1/3 or so operating spec max. And I’m super curious about the output transformer-less sound that seems to be pretty universally well reviewed. I’m gonna check out some reviews of PMA series because I enjoy obsessively reading audio reviews. 

I’m also going to do a DIY tube amp kit once work settles down a bit. I’ve really been lusting after an Analog Ethos kit that looks simple enough to tackle in a weekend or two.  And should be a great match for the DW6. 

I agree the finish looks awesome in general and in your space. Supposed to be another area that they have improved.

Awesome.

Also to note I’ve been listening flat EQ the whole time. Kind of a purist.

I jus added about 35% bass on Denon’s 2-band system

my gawd. I mean…I might leave it and forgo a sub. Now to go through all my test records and listen again  I prefer not using EQ but these really come alive in my environment with just a little. I’ll find an optimal setting.

Denon has a muscular sound signature. Perhaps the higher end stuff is really neutral. Love my Cambridge solos. Have two of them.

@simna 

It's the famous flat speaker (think of most modern speakers) vs a "live" speaker (klipsch, zu, etc).

To me, a flat speaker blends everything together, as if it's all on the same playing field. Level. Flat. And many think, boring. I would agree.

A "live" speaker sounds more layered. A drum cymbal leaves that "flat" space and sounds dynamic. Anything that deserves an "attack" gets an attack.

That's what they mean by "live". Live isn't perfect or accurate. Just like every single live show I've been too...nothing is perfect as it's not intending to replicate the studio.

Instruments are more spatial in nature and are very forward facing. It's a more aggressive speaker type.

That's my non-audiophile explanation. 

I'm a bit late to the bass discussion however I know that with more hours of break-in, the bass response will improve. I purchased my upgraded Omen Dirty Weekend Mk II several years ago and still use them.

Thanks @lak for the info regarding bass response improving.

For now I just EQ'd it a slight bit and am listening very happily. I'll check the EQ setting again (will neutral it) in a month or two.