usb vs toslink?

Is it superior or hype?
currently i have my laptop computer connect to my dac by Apple AE by toslink cable. Is there a big improvement to use CAT 5 directly from computer to a USB converter or USB DAC.
has anyone try this , please share your experience

thanks
a1126lin
i have a trivista DAC. or my krell 20i also accept digital input ( coaxial or toslink ), i am fairly happy with the sound of krell, or trivista, so my question is that if i get a hagerman and connect to either dac, would I expect a margiinal or noticeable improvement vs, apple AE to either DAC.
i have try apple AE , it's ok for background music, but not for serious listening
Toslink now comes in two flavors:

1) Plastic
2) Glass

The glass is a quantum leap in fidelity improvement over the plastic. van den Hul Octocoupler is probably the best glass Toslink out there!
A1126 - if you are not happy with the AE I suggest you try the Hagerman or Blue Circle. You have nice toys and these don't cost much.

As Fatparrot points out, there are (nothing new) two flavors of Toslink - glass and plastic. I ran a Wireworld SuperNova (glass) directly from my Mac G4 to a TriVista and it was excellent - unfortunately I don't think anyone is making a cable this good for the mini-Toslink
van den Hul Octocoupler is available in 3 configurations:

1) Toslink to Toslink
2) Mini to Toslink
3) Mini to Mini

Ckorody, when Toslink first came out, I thought that it was only available in plastic, as opposed to the AT&T Glass cable [not compatible with the Toslink terminations].