Zu Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale today

The good folks at Zu certainly know a thing or two about creating hype around new products. The Dirty Weekend 6 went on sale this morning. It was positioned as a first come first served release with a November delivery. I bought a pair with the "supreme" upgrade. A little risky buying without hearing them first, but I figure I can probably unload them if they're not to my liking, since they'll probably sell out. Any thoughts on these or Zu in general for that matter ..

128x128davidrolon

@snapsc 

I agree with @fendersrule in sounding like a large speaker. Especially once you get the peaks up over 80db. The play softly well enough but seem to come alive in my system at that volume.  Good recordings can have a very wall of sound effect. This also happens to be about where I listen most of the time.  These speakers will definitely play LOUD  

Perhaps I’m getting better bass from mine due to my listening space being small (about 12x17 and just a simple rectangle in shape with 8’ ceilings and area rug on hardwood).  I think I found a good balance for mine about 8” from back wall and about ~2/2.5’ from sidewalls.  You may be correct about them imagining better in less bass friendly positions. I haven’t done much super critical listening for sound staging. I certainly prioritized balanced bass and treble response over staging in the short time I spent positioning these speakers. 

Also I’d just give them some time to play in. Like we already talked these seem to take some time to really bloom. 

We have our speakers in the same place! Mine is about 8" from the back wall and about 26"-28" from the side wall. They seem to be very happy there!

Yep, the more I listen to them the more I am really really loving them. As far as I’m concerned, those polks can come down. :)

I think you’re right about the break in. I feel like they’re already kicking off more low end the more I play them.

Zu was really cool. They took me through the facility. Like I mentioned I almost ran over Sean as I was backing in, lol. We chatted for awhile. Really awesome small-family place. Everyone that worked there loved what they were doing. So friendly and awesome to talk with. They had me inspect my speakers before and boxed them in-front of me. I saw their break-in room. They don’t break in completed speakers, they break in drivers only. So once those are broken in they assemble and package. This is possibly why as a complete assembled unit they could use a few hundred hours to really settle in.

They also surprised me and had some left over rustic hickory as I mentioned. They don’t build the cabs onsite as some other facility locally does that. To my understanding they finish and assemble.

Here’s a couple pics of the finish. It’s flawless and possibly the best finishing work Zu has ever done.

https://ibb.co/tBvfqnY

https://ibb.co/Jc427v5

Been listening all day. Threw on Synchronicity and man...I feel like the bass is starting to extend deeper.

So yea, I think break-in really is a thing....and this is only the first day!

25 x 18 is a pretty large space. I’m not surprised you are slightly underwhelmed with the bass extension. Makes perfect sense to me.

@fendersrule ​​​​​​

Everybody talks about how Zu speakers  sounds "live" and "being there" . Guess I'm stupid,  but sounds live how?  As being at a rock concert where they are using PA-speakers,  or a acoustic gitarr and song without amplification in a church,  or like listning to a jazzband in a small club or a symphonic orchestra in a concert hall...?
Please enlighten me.