IFi Zen Stream with Qobuz

What is the best way to setup the ifi Zen Stream to work Qobuz? I would like to get 24/196 when available and also trying to find out if that’s possible with this setup. Most likely going to use a Denefrips Ares II in conjunction with the Zen Stream. 

128x128temmple

Hi,

I too have a Zen Stream and a Denfripos Ares II.

I tired mconnect and bubbleupnp and absolutely hate the interfaces. It's nearly 2023 and I don't want to use crap software and outdated user interfaces.

User experience matters and good software is important.

It is annoying that the Zen Stream doesn't have good native Qobuz integration. Further, Tidal Connect is pretty flakey at the best of times.

With this in mind, I was looking to ditch the Zen Stream and was looking toward more expensive options from Auralic and Innuos.

Until I decided to buy a cheap NUC from eBay and install Roon ROCK.

Roon has transformed how I listen to digital music and it fixes the biggest weakness of the Zen Stream.

Yes, it is more money but not in the same league as a Lumin U2 mini or Auralic Aries G1.

Yes. it is frustrating that Tidal Connect doesn't work and that Qobuz doesn't have a Connect option yet.

Yes. it is annoying that the software on the Zen Stream is pretty meh.

But, Roon overcomes all this and does a brilliant job of adding a tonne of value.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Also, for what it's worth I think Wi-Fi to the Zen Stream sounds superb and I've ditched all the Ethernet madness as a result. Plus Wi-Fi is effectively galvanically isolated so you can forget all about Ethernet "noise". (I work with major global networking and I'm pretty handy with Ethernet, switching, fibre etc. and I'm really happy with the Zen Stream Wi-Fi circuit).

@jackd Got everything hooked up and running but currently connecting via airplay to the ifi. If I download MConnect I should get better audio quality than airplay?

I installed MConnect but under the play to section I only see iPhone/Airplay option so not sure if I am doing this correct. 

@temmple 

Are the Zen Stream and your phone/iPad on the same Network? Also when doing the complete setup of the Zen Stream in the Stream App you have to press the save button in each section where you make a change.  Also make sure you have check for software updates.  Once you have the Zen Stream completely setup using the iFi app then see if the MConnect app will see it.  If not shut them both down and re-boot them both, Zen Stream first.  If you never used mConnect before there is an instruction guide on the companies website that I posted in another thread earlier about the app.  Also check out the Tips and Tricks thread at Headfi. In that thread there is a step by step guide to setup.  It needs to be done in order.