Preamps can color sound considerably. Surprising?

Had the pleasure of listening to 4 hi end preamplifiers this weekend. And each preamp sounded very nice. But they were different. Each preamplifier has different circuitry and within the frequency spectrum there was more vibrancy in some areas versus other areas. Amplifiers are the same way.

It takes a while to appreciate sound differences between preamplifiers. And then you got the issue of Breakin which further changes the color.

clearly designers are playing around with all the internal circuitry in a manner that hopefully will be appealing. Clearly, these units do not get out of the way when it comes to moving a signal through the box.

I think solid state is more susceptible to coloring versus tubes. Tubes color sound as well.

It's all about marketing different ways to color Music. This isn't necessarily bad but it's never really talked about this way.

jumia

@ozzy62 

"...But when compared to a good passive, it's just no contest..."

I've tried the Creek OBH22, which provides great clarity and resolution - because I wanted to go direct to an amp, but with a volume control with remote.  It did provide greater clarity than my preamps. 

But... what passives do you suggest?  Townshend?  Others? 

I realize this is not focused on passives, and that there are other threads that do - but - just wondered what your experience has been in this regard?  

If you want a better chance of hearing what the audience heard listen to live recordings in a multichannel system. Studio recordings for the most part are sewn together like pieces of a puzzle into a sonic quilt. It isn't the same as a live recording. An audience at a concert isn't listening to "stereo" and are "immersed" instead. If you want to get a good preamp get a multichannel preamp and "immerse" yourself in live concert recordings.

The cleanest sounding preamp to me is my Tortuga Audio LDR, total clarity and measures poorly according to ASR 😎

I've tried many passive preamps, thinking "that must be the answer". It isn't--they  are all dry and flat. IMHO if you want liquid transparent sound and emotion from your music there must be tubes somewhere in the system. Even PSAudio--prime lovers of Class D-- recognizes that and use tubes.

@condosound I have tried both passive preamps and tube preamps. Passive preamp is not the most transparent device, and tube pramp is not the most liquid either. They all depend on the price and the manufacturer. Even within the same manufacture, preamps can sound very different, depending on when they were made.