Looking for warm tube preamp (should pair well with Pass power amp), budget $6000

Right now I have an ARC ref5se and its nice but looking for something of similar quality but warmer (maybe Vac, CJ or something you think will fit well). Looking for smooth sound, full mid range.

Thanks!

smodtactical

@ghdprentice its just too bad all the shindo preamps have phono stage. I prefer pure line stages since I don't use vinyl.

I would also recommend Aric Audio. I have the Motherload 2. I love it, but thought “what would no preamp sound like?” I got a Benchmark and listened. The benchmark is very neutral and clean, but no more than Arics. I expected to at least hear a little further into the music, but Aric already had me there. Plus The Motherload is far more dynamic, just as transparent, and adds beautiful tube coloration.
 And Aric is great to work with! Cannot recommend him enough. I also have his super 88 se power amp. Which is every bit as good as my First Watt F8. 

Luxman CL38UC. Excellent tube preamp plus it has an excellent 3 tube MM/MC phono preamp w/4 SUT's. 

Post removed 

@smodtactical 

@ghdprentice 

I’ve owned the Ref5se three times through the years, simply an extraordinary preamp that bridges the gap between the ARC of yesteryear and the ARC of today. In fact, I preferred it to the Ref6.

I have also owned in the past several versions of the Shindo Aurieges and Monbrison preamps including the most recent versions of the Monbrison and Aurieges. What amplification and speakers are you planning on using? In addition, I haven’t owned a vinyl setup in years and it never bothered me that my preamp had a phono stage. It won’t hold you at gunpoint and force you to get a turntable nor will it refuse to work if you don’t LOL. 

The current version of the Aurieges exceeds the performance of the previous Monbrison in my opinion and may be one of the great values in high end preamplifiers, however, it all depends on you amplification and cabling. When matched appropriately, there is simply nothing like the Shindo sound. When NOT matched appropriately, you will wonder what all the fuss is about.

The comment about Shindo not being appropriate for rock and roll is incorrect. A properly configured and set up Shindo system just plays music exeptionally well. It isn’t euphonic, it just sounds like music. It doesn’t “bloom”, it just gets tone, texture and tempo better than most anything. Full disclosure: I have owned alot of gear through the years and there is alot of great gear out there. I enjoy Audio Note and Shindo and Leben.