Choosing an integrated for low volume listening

Is there anything in the Amp - Speaker combo that makes one combination better for lower-volume listening? I would guess the variables are Class A vs A/B, speaker sensitivity, and current.

Room: 13’ x 13’

Stand mount - Aerial 5T (I think)

Integrated options: Pass Int-60, Lux 509X, ML 5802, Lux 590ax II

Overkill for the space - nope, love it. 

smoothtech

This will be a new setup. I’ve been out of the game for years. As a former dealer of high end AV and Home Systems, I’ve had various Focal, Genelec, Revel, Martin Logan, and a couple Meridian DSP towers… 

I have not had a dedicated 2-ch system for myself… I’m pretty sure I’ll buy a pair of Aerial Acoustics 5T for my office. Likely a Lumin steamer… the integrated is the question. 

Good point @ryder… I’m not sure what level low is! I’m not thinking background music when I’m on a zoom call, more about in between calls, staring out the window, end of the day dram… 50-60 might be reasonable. I’ve got an Arcam and Sonus Faber system for the TV room, I’ll test that today. 

The Luxman loudness option is appealing as a quick toggle. 

I would highly recommend listening to a Audio Research VSi 75. I love the sound so much I have been trying to find some excuse to buy one… even though I have no where to use it… so, I haven’t.

I found the amp so musical and with such an overwhelming musical connection. Absolutely nothing like Pass x series, more like XA series… which I have owned for decades.

I would pair with Sonus Faber. Maybe stand mount Olympica… or down a level if those are too expensive.

Do any modern integrateds offer a variable loudness control?  I've seen that feature occasionally on much older units.

I've owned Aerial 5T's for about 5 years w/a Luxman CL38Use and a Bryston 3B cube amp. I play a lot of music early in the morning and lat at night and the music is detailed. The Luxman integrated's would be an excellent choice. I would also check out the new 507Z as it has Luxman's new advanced volume control.

I assume you like the 5T then? I’ve love that line from their beginning. Those or a 20 year old pair of Linn 5040 (?) - those were the speakers that sold me on 2-channel. LOVE that sound.

+1 on variable loudness

ryder, use a crappy meter on my phone, but 50 was my sweet spot while still being able to read, whiteboard, and email. I can push that to 60 comfortably, 40 probably a minimum. 

And you nailed it, I turned up a bit to what seemed ideal, meter showed 71 db.