This is purely subjective opinion. Aqua LaScala/ Atma-Sphere Class D

The last couple weeks I’ve been listening to my Atma-Sphere Class D amps. I added the Aqua LaScala and set of ECC801S Tele’s. And I can say this is a magical combination.  The Atma-Sphere are simply amazing. Probably the best Class D on the market. But when fed by the LaScala DAC and the Tele’s it was like wow. Bringing the system to an entirely new level. I can not believe how transparent this system is. And how real Sax, Piano and female vocals sound. Had a Music Teacher over tonight. She teaches Piano on the side. She couldn’t believe how George Winston’s Steinway sounded. She said she’s never heard a Steinway reproduced that close before. BTW she has a Steinway Grand in her home. Tomorrow I’ll be adding a Innous PheonixUSB too the mix. The Atma-Sphere Class D is the best Class D I’ve ever heard in my system. And as close to OTL as you’ll ever get without going OTL. And I’ve had plenty of Class D amps in the system.  The Aqua LaScala is an excellent DAC. Great addition to the system. I’d strongly suggest if your looking for a really nice DAC…. This should be on the short list.  And it really shines with the Telefunken ECC801s tubes. Anyone else out there have opinions on the Aqua LaScala?

Running Roon, dedicated core, Atma-Sphere MP-3 3.3 with Vcaps and Caddocks

128x128pstores

@sbank I believe that you may be confusing two models. The current La Scala is the MkII, and I do not believe that there has ever been a MkIII. There is a La Voce S3, which is the latest in that line, but as you suggest the La Scala is widely considered to be a very clear step up in class.

In fact, when I communicated with Aqua before I completed by purchase of the La Scala, they told me that their production capability was "almost saturated by a big number of backlog orders for the Formula, La Scala, LinQ, and a much lower request for La Voce S3."

So, at the time, while the La Voce was back ordered, the company was prioritizing the models that were both very popular and of higher quality.

One other observation that I can make re: the La Scala is that it is somehow able to extract fine details, yet at the time sweeten poorly recorded material. That is counter-intuitive to me, but perhaps it is related to the tube output.

In any case, as mentioned above, I feel no urge whatsoever to make a change, and now pay virtually no attention to articles about other DACs.

I’m also a believer in the La Scala having used the Optologic MKII version for some time now. I run this between my Naim source and Audio Research gear and have been very satisfied with this combination.

I too have moved away from the stock tube set changing to NOS Tele’s purchased from Brent Jesse. This change seemed to bring even more presence and detail forward while tightening up the bottom end. It’s a great dac for the money!

"What speakers,and cables"

Not sure if this was directed to me specifically- but I use Dynaudio Sapphire speakers. All cables are either Canare or Belden from Blue Jeans Cable. My system components are listed under my user name.