Where did you buy your first audio gear?

I bought my first audio gear in a Post Exchange PX store in Baumholder Germany. I was a young soldier about 20 yrs old and bought a SAE amp and Preamp, Bose 901 speakers, Sony CDP-101 CD player and a Thorens TD 320 turntable. Where did you buy your first audio gear? What did you get?

128x1282psyop

I first audio serious audio was purchased off my boss when I was working in Iron Mountain, MI.  I was there to build the new County Replacement Hospital, Dickenson County Memorial.  I bought his Harmon & Kardon integrated, and a pair of DCS bookshelf speakers.  I next bought a Sony CD player from Crutchfield.  I traded that all in, and bought a stack of NAD, which I thought was the greatest stuff.  Hey, when you're 24, and just getting into it, it was!  Hah.  Those were the good old days.  I should have stopped there.  My mania has spread, or rather gotten worse - DOH!  🤣

Pioneer SX-750 receiver, BIC turntable, and Bose 301 Series II bookshelf speakers. Purchased at Pacific Stereo, Pomona, California, February 1980. Receiver was nothing but problems and BIC turntable was crummy. Replaced them three months later with a McIntosh MA600 integrated amplifier and a McIntosh MR74 AM/FM tuner, and also a Dual turntable. What a difference! I still have the tuner to this day. I gave away my Pacific Stereo purchases. They were junk...you do get what you pay for.

One of those Rent To Own places, about 40 years ago. It was a Sansui rack system. I added a Pioneer CD player the second year they came out. I also swapped out the speakers for a pair of JBL 80t's. This wasn't exactly high end but I was only 17 at the time. Last I knew the Sansui rack was still playing for the folks I sold it to.

Gayla Sound, Rochester New York in 1983. I was clueless. I walked in with nothing Then walked out with a $3000 hi-fi.  (you could buy a new car for $3000 then). Those guys sold me good stuff. The AR Turntable with Grace F9e. Still have that cart. Not using it now but it sounds great with a new stylus from Soundsmith.
As separates, 100w ss amp and preamp from Bellas. (Now power modules).  Artesian Group monitors.  Those had Focal duel-coil drivers.  My daughter has that TT and speakers now. She was a seven YO then.

Bent