Turntables

Hey all! I've been circling a Rega P10 turntable, which is their latest iteration. It has gotten great reviews by Rega afficionados, but not much notice from the TT community at large, that I can find. It's a deviation from the conventional thinking that mass=stability, and quiet. It is very lightweight, but stiff. I like unconventional, and am willing to take a leap, though. Question is, of course, has anyone had any experience with these TT's and what thoughts do you have? (Michael Fremer at Analog Planet did a 5 part video of the Rega factory with Roy Gandy a couple of years ago and I have to say I was really impressed by his devotion to his art and his conviction about the direction Rega has taken with its TT's.)

128x128morsegist

Thanks for all the comments/advice! I do have some mono lp's that I intend to play and want to acquire more. I will have the Rega Aphelia 2 cart, which is a mc, stereo one. I can't find out if Rega has a dedicated  mono cart, as I'd like to stay in the Rega ecosystem. But that is potential issue. I could get a 3rd party mono cart, but with the RB3000 tonearm, I would probably need spacers to use one. It's always something, isn't it? Lol! 

In my experience, the lightweight design of the P10 conveys music with pace and reproduces rhythms well. Compared to high-mass turntables, the P10 perhaps has a tone quality that is not quite as full or as warm.

I've heard a P10 with a Hana ML cartridge and really liked that combination. The Hana cartridge seemed to add a bit of warmth compared to the Rega MC cartridges.

In my experience and in my opinion, Rega produces turntables that consistently rise to the level of mediocrity below their inflated retail and their selling price. 

That's JUST my opinion and my experience.  Your opinion and experience may be different.  

I have migrated from Mass to Lightweight>Rigid and with Stabilised Properties on my Plinth Design in use.

I am in the process of taking this method up a notch, and will be upgrading a used material, to one that has properties that will be difficult to surpass with the selection of materials available at present.

I have no concerns for the Rega Approach, they have adopted a method that is infiltrating the field of Plinth Design, where a material iis selected that has very good damping properties and a highly efficient dissipation, when compared to material used as traditional choices.

Learning more of the Rega material selection would be an interest to me, I will settle down with a coffee at some time and look into the design intent.

I cannot see myself considering a Massey Plinth Design, as a Bespoke Build for any future endeavours. I am very familiar with Massey Plinths in both Stone, Wood and Metal, the owned Stone versions are now limited to one only, that is a Branded Manufacturer's Design, there are a couple of Lead/Timber Constructed Plinths knocking about. These are now not the desired Plinth that is seen to be the best mounting for a TT's Chassis or Mechanics.

+1 mijostyn

I have the Thorens TD1601, same as the TD-1600 except it has auto lift and shut off. I run it with a Ortofon Cadenze Blue and a Hegel V-10 pre. Buying new I would go with the Thorens. I went from a Rega P8 to the Thorens and am very happy with the results.