Where did you buy your first audio gear?

I bought my first audio gear in a Post Exchange PX store in Baumholder Germany. I was a young soldier about 20 yrs old and bought a SAE amp and Preamp, Bose 901 speakers, Sony CDP-101 CD player and a Thorens TD 320 turntable. Where did you buy your first audio gear? What did you get?

128x1282psyop

Built a Dynaco 120 and PAT-4 in the late ‘60’s — paired them with a Dual 122? TT and a Stanton 681EE. Don’t remember the speaker brand — maybe ADC?  Sounded good to me, and got me thru the great old days of music. Added a Revox A77 in 1970, and a waterbed to help the acoustics. Good times!

Post removed 

First New Purchase: 70's?  Lafayette Electronics, Honolulu, HI. Criterion speakers.  Lafayette integrated amp.  Parking lot blow out sale.  New technology called Solid State.  Yup.  Someday it will take off and be the "thing" everyone has.

First Stereo System: I was about 8 years old. 1962ish. My dad helped me build up one from parts from Salvation Army donated tv-stereo consoles.  We pulled radios, speakers, amplifiers and turntables.  Built the cabinets.  I learned a lot. Some, the hard way.  They can bite.  Started me into a career in electronics.

Philadelphia, PA in 1972.  I don't remember the hi-fi store. It's long one.  I bought a Kenwood receiver, Dual 1215 turntable with a no-name cartridge and KLH 17 speakers with zip cord for cables and little RCA interconnects - all for $500 total.  A few months later I purchased a Nakamichi 1000 cassette recorder/player with Dolby B and Dolby C. They served me well.

I bought my first audio gear from the Base Exchange in Okinawa where I was stationed while in the Air Force.