Where did you buy your first audio gear?

I bought my first audio gear in a Post Exchange PX store in Baumholder Germany. I was a young soldier about 20 yrs old and bought a SAE amp and Preamp, Bose 901 speakers, Sony CDP-101 CD player and a Thorens TD 320 turntable. Where did you buy your first audio gear? What did you get?

128x1282psyop

My 1st system was a college graduation gift from my parents in 1964. I got super interested in audio due to other students in my dorm. It turned out that my uncle handled books for Dynaco and Dynaco had a close relationship with Acoustic Research at the time. So my uncle got a system for my parents at his price, a PAS 2 kit preamp, Stereo 70 amp kit, AR 2a speakers and an AR turntable, a classic system for that time. I had to buy a pickup and I bought an ADC Point 4E, one of the first ellipticals. I only made one error wiring the kits. The Stereo 70 vibrated so much it walked acros the floor. I turned it off and found the error and everything worked fine.

The year was 1979 and I was a young marine stationed in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. I purchased a Pioneer SX-1080 receiver with a pair of Pioneer HPM 100 speakers and a Kenwood cassette deck from the base exchange.

Technics receiver and Koss headphones in 1972 at about 3000 south State St Salt Lake City, Inkley’s Camera Shop, about 3 years later I got a Yamaha Natural Sound CR 820 receiver, Tannoy Cheviots, Technics Direct Drive turntable and ortofon cartridge at Broadway Music downtown Salt Lake City. I got spoiled early on

My first quality gear I bought from the man, Brooks Berdan in SoCal.  It was a Rega P3, Rega Mira integrated, and Vandersteen 2ce Sigs.  That was 20 years ago and I still use the table and speakers, upgraded to separates though in that time (Rogue Metis tube pre, also from them).  Was a great store while he was alive, best salesman I've ever encountered.