Recommendations for HiFi Listening Room

Newbie here.  Wife and I are looking to turn our Great Room into a listening room.  It’s roughly 21’X’19 and has a cathedral ceiling that is 11’ tall at the wall and 20’ tall at the apex.  Spoke to a good hifi dealer in the area who made the following recommendations/proposal and I’m curious if this group may have any input for getting maximum bang for my buck.  Basically, with a budget around 35k (or thereabouts) would you buy something similar or are there any components you’d add or swap out?

Paradigm Persona 3F

McIntosh MA8950

Pro-Ject Xtension 9 w/ Ortofon Black Cartridge 

Sony ES DSD Music Server (this one concerns me a touch in that it appears to be an 8 yr old product line).

Thanks so much in advance for your collective expertise.  My wife isn’t going to let me drop money into this for another 15 years so I need to get it right the first time. 

If it matters, our musical taste is quite varied: classical, jazz, classic rock, alternative, hip hop.  My mother complained in my youth that if i had 10 bucks I would just buy a CD with it.  She is still right. 

128x128brewerslaw

For starters, personally, I would lose the McIntosh, because apparently from what I've learned on this site they have what we call a house sound, meaning that while it's extremely high fidelity it's different from all the rest. What I was told is to make sure it's your cup of tea because it'll be expensive to replace it if you don't.

Especially, as far as speakers go, but probably for all the other components as well, you'll get way more of a bang for your buck buying used gear, as in, on this site and I have no affiliation except for being a very satisfied user who's scored a few amazing deals on even more amazing equipment. And, dude, the biggest piece of advice I can give you, esp since you said your kind of (exceptionally) cool wife isn't gonna allow you to sink any more bucks into this little foray for a long time ... is to do it right the first time. It's called upgradeitis and it's expensive as hell. As long as you spend your money well I'm here to tell you it won't be a thing.

This forum is full of people chasing the dream. I had but a system years ago when I was married to the mother of my children and I was more careful about my choices when I decided to build another system just a few years ago.

It's terribly important to have a high degree of synergy b/w your different components. If you do this part well, I can pretty much assure you you'l never want to upgrade b/c when you have good synergy you won't need or want to change anything. 

I'm going to personally recommend my speakers b/c from what you've described, what we call the WAF, which stands for wife approval factor is pretty important since you guys are doing this together and I'm sure you want to please her.

One of the reasons I could justify spending as much on my speakers as I did is because they're gorgeous. To prove my point above about used gear, I'm the third owner of my speakers. I bought them from an opera singer down in Houston TX. I'm not sure what he paid for them but the original owner paid $11,000. Frequently, there will be two or three pair listed on this very sight for $5000. I got them for a little over 3K and they're in awesome condition. Even if you get a pair for between five and seven grand, look how much you save buying used. 

I've learned a lot of valuable stuff from screwing off spending time following threads on this site, ha ha ha, and one of the things that changed the sound I was getting is setting the speakers out into the room a little bit, like two or three feet from the wall they're up against. It has to do with room acoustics, and from the dimensions of the room you described you have the space to fill it with great sound. The easiest way to think about it until you understand room acoustics is that they need room to breathe. Especially if they're going to sit out in the room you want them to not look like a big box, to my way of thinking, to score high on what we call the WAF, which stands for wife approval factor, ha ha ha. It's actually real.

If you give these speakers room to breathe, you will be pleased with the sound. And they have two little knobs on the back so you can fine tune the bass response. When you get that right, if you have the right electronics feeding the system you'll literally be amazed because in most cases it'll literally seem like the various musicians are standing or sitting in the same room with you. The correct timbre is what you're after. Soundstaging and imaging is what I'm talking about and these speakers do it extremely well.

As far as electronics goes, you'll get lots of different opinions about what you should or shouldn't do and what you'll wind up choosing has everything in the world to do with what you'll be using the system for or more specifically, what you'll want it to do.

If you want it to do more than two channel audio it changes the game significantly.

You'll probably be able to figure it out with a certain degree of clarity by the bottom of the thread if you give these guys the right information. It was smart starting this thread! The speakers I'm referring to is the Martin Logan, Summit. I guess they have to sort of fit in your decor to look as gorgeous as they do in my place, but I live on the top floor of a high rise in an urban environment and I tend to prefer a more modern look so they're like wow. 

I just checked this site and there's only one pair listed and it says no box, which means local pick up. 

Oh, one more thing. I can imagine the things that'll be said about power conditioning and cables. There are naysayers, trust me. And they'll come out of the cracks on a thread like this. But when you have components that's capable of a high degree of resolution you will find that both of these things are what will male the difference b/w good sound and really good sound. OK, lemme have it Jason Bourne, haha ha ha.

By the way, there's two different pairs of the next model up from my speaker, called the Summit X and the reviews I read before I bought mine said that it performs even better than mine. For the budget you have, if you can justify spending more than 5K on your speakers it would actually be worth it to go for it. But I can tell you from my own experience that the Summit will give you what you're after in spades. Can't wait to hear what you choose. Have fun!

What’s up with women and B&W speakers ! My daughter thinks the 800 series look like trash cans!😂😂😂

listened to personas along with many others (b&w, focal, dali, monitor, etc) don't let the trolls on here sway you.  they make great speakers (they along with focal were the best to me), but at the end of the day listen to what you can and buy what you like

As others have recommended, start with speakers and audition as many as you can -- ideally a few at a time at each dealer so you can get a sense of what you like.  Your room will play a big part in how they sound so buy from someone that will let you audition at home.

Re: Paradigms -- you don't necessarily have to get Personas. The new Founders series has the 120h which has built-in powered subs and bass room correction which can help tune to the room.  They also won't be as bright as the Personas.  That said, there are many other speakers that have a completely different sound signature that you may like better.  Vandersteen Quattros are a great recommendation for any room but so are speakers from Dynamikks. Couldn't be more different, but both are incredible.  

Amplification -- way too many choices here but you're looking for something that goes well with the speakers that you choose.  Mcintosh is great and if you want something where guests come over, recognize it, and go "wow" -- then Mcintosh is the only brand that others will know and do that with.  Also has great resale. For great sound at a better cost, though, there are lots of options that are better.  Once you dial in on the speaker that you like, try tubes vs solid state (A vs A/B vs D) to see what you like best.

Digital Source -- I'm a fan of Roon with a streamer.  Great user interface.  That means getting a Roon server on your home network and a streamer near your amplifier.  Alternatively, get an Aurender or Lumin or similar and just stream directly from the various streaming services.  For DAC, I like Denafrips but there's also Holo Audio and many others to try in your target budget.

Vinyl Source -- have no idea as I left vinyl behind quite a while ago. (I still regret it a bit but no going back now)

Room treatment -- you have rugs, a big heavy couch, and cathedral ceilings -- you're already in great shape.  Professional room treatment will definitely help optimize the room but you have to balance that with what you want the room to look like.  I have a dedicated listening room in the basement with low ceilings -- so I need a lot of room treatment.  You may not.  I'd get the system in the room, get it where it looks and sounds the best and then consider room treatment.  If you're really concerned about the room and how it plays with your equipment, the other path would be to get a preamp that has built-in DIRAC or similar or do room correction through Roon for your digital source.

Happy shopping.  

Tons of opinions and many of them really good !  Doing the GIK room stuff is a good start.  A really good book, easy to read and understand is "Get Better Sound" by Jim Smith.  Using this book and some rather inexpensive room treatments I was able to get my listening-room sound great.  

For a room that size, horn-loaded speaker systems that are efficient may be the way to go as they don't require hefty power amplification for good output and man sound really good.  Volti makes a speaker called the Razz that would probably serve you very well.  It's very dynamic both macro and micro and could be very satisfying for the array of music that you listen to.  There are a number of really good Class-A amplifiers that would work very well with those speakers.  The Pass-Labs XA-25 is highly regarded and would provide plenty of power for them.  And Pass-Labs makes the XP-12 or XP-22 preamps that are really great sounding as well.  Those Pass-Labs products all have terrific reviews too.  As for source equipment, if you must have vinyl, well then go for it.  However, I have gone completely digital and don't even miss my vinyl anymore.  Innuos makes a number of great music-servers and a BorderPatrol DAC will give your great digital reproduction with a very analog-like sound.  All of the stuff I mentioned above would be well within your budget.  In any event, enjoy your audio journey !