Bookshelf vs diffuser panel. Who wins?

I have a 3 x 5 bookshelf filled with books. The books are not even and some are more inserted than others.

Isn't this accomplishing the same thing as a 3 x 5 diffuser panel?

jumia

I have a 12 x 16 room with 7 1/2 foot ceilings. Yeah I know the cylinder you speak about, but I was looking for a diffuser cylinder all the way around.

Diffuser are a pain in the ass to buy with all the various designs and not seeing the one I really want unless I have to spend two to $3000. Let's face it lots of them look pretty crappy.

Frankly I’m concerned if I put diffusers in my room it may enhance the clarity of the music moreso. So I’m not sure if diffusers would be a good thing. Although it would be nice to dull the higher end frequencies at times which can be harsh depending upon the recording.

@dekay Re egg flats....cheap seats, zero WAF. *L*

In the basement dungeons, backed with rock wool sheets and angled, it’ll work.

Best to be a confirmed bachelor if in the living space is the only option....

Been around enough garage bands with delusions of grandeur, but funds limited to equipment v. ’studio treatments’. Anything to keep the neighbors from being revolting...reference "Joe’s Garage" - F. Zappa

Personally I've been considering these:

Available in a number of patterns, can accept paint...won't 'go' with Early American or other sorts of furnishings that y'all live with and prefer and enjoy, but...beats being banished to the basement or out of the homestead entirely. ;)

Mounted to movable MDF panels for experiments until one is happy or at least resigned to what is possible...

Heavy curtains on long hardware, floor to ceiling.....the 'stage look' as a backdrop...

YRWV....

Good luck to us all....J

Does anyone have experienced with the vertical blinds, say on a window behind the speakers, as opposed to having curtains there as a diffuser panel?