KEF LS50

Don't post often here but thought I would let you all know I stumbled on a pretty amazing performer in this little monitor.

I would say the midrange is on par with my Harbeth 40.1, treble has a tad more leading edge bite than the best soft dome but its a really good top end that never gets nasty. Dynamically they are performing way better than they should. I'm betting they would compete with the new 30.1 sonically, just a guess.

Have them running with 20X price electronics in a small office and they are not outclassed in any way. Made me want to keep throwing my best gear with them they sounded so good.

If you are in the market grab a pair, you will not regret. Saw two pair this morning for sale for around 1K, I can't think of anything in 20 years offering this much performance for 1K. You could build a world class non-full range sound around these.
petland
I'm curious as to how the Harbeth P3ESR would compare to the Kef LS50's? Has anyone been able to compare both?

I too love to listen to violin/cello, piano sonatas, voices, and acoustic instruments.

I'm trying to find a speaker with realistic tone, to be played in a small den, placed very close to the wall that is behind the speakers. Would the P3ESR be better because of the its sealed box and no ports?

I love how mini monitors are able to "disappear", but often they portray the instruments as also being miniature. Like "toy pianos, or toy violins/cellos" etc. How does the P3ESR and LS50's do in this regard?

Sorry for all the questions, but my closest Harbeth dealer is a 12 hour car ride round trip.

Thanks for sharing any thoughts you may have.
No-regrets,

Have not heard teh KEFs but check the internet. I have read some things that indicate the KEFs are quite competitive in the areas you are interested in, ie favorable comparison to Harbeth and delivering some meat on the bones beyond what the size would indicate. That plus the modern point source design technology and all that can offer makes these very interesting indeed!
I have not heard KEFs since the 90's probably. I owned a pair of small KEF monitors once that were completely uninvolving and were returned in short time. I read these newer KEFs are a return to good form though. ANy thoughts from longtime KEF owners regarding these versus other prior KEFs in recent years?
No_regrets,

See the Steve Guttenberg review and the Stereophile review. Both note how they compare to the BBC monitor designs.
I would think the LS50 would better compare to the 7s or possibly the 30.1. I imagine in certain areas it will not be up to par with the Harbeth's but in the important areas be very similar. Throw in some of the unique things that its driver design brings to the table which are audible (and postive in my mind), and they deserve to be in the conversation for sure.

I would have a hard time imagining that they would not bring significantly more to the table in terms of tone density and dynamics than the p3esr but I could be mistaken not to include the p3 in the discussion as well. I have never heard them, I am sure they are wonderful considering obvious limitations.

My LS50 are actually in a bookcase!! Big time audio no-no for a rear ported design. Interestingly its a really solid bookcase, I was able to fill the space with books and dark speaker stuffing and then I used half the port foam supplied by Kef and was shocked that I seem to have no peak and excellent speed in the bass and no overhang into the midrange. Normally this would be an acoustical disaster but now I have them much higher than they would be on stands and they are singing in the room they are in. Some luck involved there for sure......Point is they seem pretty forgiving of the rear port.