Direct Drive

I am firmly in the digital camp, but I’ve dabbled in vinyl.  Back in the day I was fascinated by Technics Direct Drive tt, but couldn’t afford them.  I was stuck with my entry level Gerrard.  I have been sans turntable for about 5 years now but the new gear bug is biting.  I am interested in the Technics 1500 which comes with an Ortofon Red and included pre amp.  I have owned Rega P5 which I hated for its speed instability and a Clearaudio Concept which was boring as hell.

Direct Drive was an anathema to audiophiles in the nineties but every time I heard  one it knocked my socks off.  What do the analogers here think of Direct Drive?  I listen to Classical Music exclusively 

mahler123

How did you set the tracking weight? Did you zero out the weight before setting the weight (start where the arm "floats" level)? Did you use a scale? 

A direct drive transmits motion to a system or object requiring actuation without the use of any further mechanical components.

[URL="https://krnl.run/"]krnt.run[/URL]

[URL="https://indigocard.ltd/"]indigocard.ltd[/URL]

@mijostyn - the energy dissipated by the vibration of a very low mass arm onto the stylus (like a Rega) is less than the vibrations coming up from the motor through a platter, no matter how heavy. It is 2 different philosophies.

I would be interested in measuring the actual vibrations at the record while it is spinning if possible, both with and without the stylus on the record, which takes into account the platter mat (or isolator in my case). Probably pretty hard to do, so the best you can do is listen and Rega's come out very highly regarded.

As an example to the light platter/plinth and minimum force/energy motor extreme , take a look at Rega's Naiad. That is what the P8 and P10m are based on. It is absolute minimalist. Expensive at about $40K, but that's the philosophy. Of course, it should be isolated on a wall shelf or a platform like a Townshend (or both). To me, it is the ultimate quiet table. Roy Gandy states correctly that a turntable is simply a vibration measuring machine and he strives to create the lowest internally generated noise possible.

OP,

Wow. Sorry to hear. I grew up in a suburb of Chicago.

I still remember driving down and trying out my first car… used. Bought it, ran… until the battery ran down. That is when I learned what the pulley in the truck was for… but could not be reinstalled. Several huge investments in major engine repair later… well, finally gave up and my parents helped me buy a new car… $1,999.

A doberman? Not a good sign.

Hopefully, this is not a story like that.

@dover and @testpilot are not wrong.

DD motors are controlled by computer speed measurement and are constantly being speeded up and slowed down to achieve the designer's aim of a perfectly stable speed.  In the event they cannot achieve a stable speed because they are never running at the same speed, aka cogging.   @billwojo the evidence is in the engineering specifications of DD turntables that state they have constant speed monitoring and adjustment.  Written in black and white.

As Dover says, this is analogous to digital control of digital sources where clock error is responsible for perceived speed instability known as jitter.

The alternative approach of using high platter mass and Newton's first law to maintain speed consistency through inertia is a far better approach.